• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Writers Here

eyez0nme

Or are you all just book-lovers?

If you do write, name three authors who influence your work; Who are the 3 writers who inspires you to write?

eyez0nme said:

If you do write, name three authors who influence your work; Who are the 3 writers who inspires you to write?
All writers are book lovers, but not all book lovers are writers. David Mitchell and Stephen King got me writing. If I have to name three... then add Poe to the list.

I think it was a dreadful romance book that made me think, "I could do that. I could do that better." So I suppose some unnamed romance writer inspired me to write.

I think the main influences on my writing style are Virginia Woolf, Mark Twain, and Kurt Vonnegut, not that I actually attain their style, or a level anywhere near theirs.

Mari = I think it was a dreadful romance book that made me think, "I could do that. I could do that better." So I suppose some unnamed romance writer inspired me to write.

I think The Bridges of Madison County inspired a lot of us. :D

i just sometimes write fan fiction or fantasy short stories. i have more then three authors though:

alexandre dumas
eoin colfer
j.k.rowling
christopher paolini

I'm a fantasy writer, and I look up to writers like GRR Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay. But I was writing for years before I read them. There wasn't really a particular author who inspired me specifically to write. Madeline L'Engle inspired my imagination to work overtime, though.

I'm a writer. I write science fiction, fantasy, and horror. I'm friends with some adult writers who seem very impressed by my work, and my fellow students seem impressed too--but I won't know if I'm really good until I get published. ^^
Three poets who influence me are Edgar Allan Poe, William Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson.
Three novelists who influence me are Laurell K. Hamilton (until all her characters turned into promiscuous S&M-addicted Mary Sues anyway), Michael Crichton, and Barb Hendee.

Which of Hamilton's books would you recommend? I just tried reading one of her books and I found it horrendous! It was one of the later ones, though.

I'm just starting my journey into fiction (have worked mostly with poetry in the past). My three writers would be:

Poe
Tom Barbash
Pam Houston

I write fiction.

If I were to consider those that, at the moment, are influential to me then I would have to give Kazuo Ishiguro and John Steinbeck a nod each. Others that have, in part, given something to my writing are Michel Faber, JG Ballard, Umberto Eco, and Virginia Woolf.

Some, like Dan Brown and John Grisham, are influential also in that their prose shows me what I don't ever want to write. I would prefer to be a stylist than a bestselling scribbler of tripe.

Ideally, every book I read is an influence on my work, for good and bad. It's just being able to distinguish between the two and ensure the bad doesn't make itself present within.

eyez0nme said:

I do write, but I write what is called fanfiction; it's quite popular with fans of a particular show or book or whatever they choose to use. Even though there usually is a canon (characters, storylines, etc.) that is available to the writer, the writer has the discretion as to how much of the canon is followed.

I really don't know who has influenced my writing specifically, as I have read a wide variety of styles and authors and don't have specific authors that have dictated my writing style.

Influences...

Not sure about this, but getting all analytical...

1. Jacqueline Wilson - because she shows how simplicity of style can be far more emotive than sophistication.

2. Henry Williamson (author of Tarka the Otter... and dubiously right-wing politically, but hey) - because he was the first to make me understand how powerful verbal images could be; a true prose poet.

3. Susan Cooper - because her unique blend of fantasy with a real-world backdrop infused itself indelibly into my brain.

And an honourable mention to Stephen King, for the way he handles suspense... and storytelling in general.

Violanthe said:
Which of Hamilton's books would you recommend? I just tried reading one of her books and I found it horrendous! It was one of the later ones, though.
I'm so sorry, I just now saw your post! I'd reccommend books 1-7 or 8, and no further. They're really good until halfway through Blue Moon. Since it's hard to tell what comes first, it goes Guilty Pleasures, Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned, Lunatic Cafe, Bloody Bones, Killing Dance, Burnt Offerings, and Blue Moon. Those ones are very good, but Anita turns into a slutty monster afterwards.

I am a writer, what I was inspired, not by other writers. Actually I am trying to correct other wirters in my filed. Which is in the astral projection filed. They have many mistake theories in their books. Which I am not going to mention who.

Also I write because I want to make the earth a better living place for all of us.

And inspire others to be better person and live in a better and loving life.

Sounds like a Saint? Yes, I am. Sounds like I am insane, maybe partially. :D

Back