• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone got any ideas?

Freya

Ok, its Fathers Day this sunday here. I'm going to get a book for my dad, he's off on his jollys and it'll b good for him to have something to read while my mums banging on about this that and the other.

So, anyone recommend a book that would appeal to a 45year old man, who wants to be entertained (preferably with some violence, action or sex) but doesn't want to have to think excessively. It would be good to find something with universal appeal... so I can borrow it once he's finished it.

I know this is pretty vague, any ideas would be appreciated though!

How about some James Bond? Never read any myself, though I intend to some day, but all dads love James Bond. And if he doesn't then you can pass it on to me. :D

My advice to go to Waterstones or Border, there are plenty of books to choose. I'll go this week for my Dad.

Richard Harris-Enigma, Archangel and Fatherland are all superb examples of the thriller and, though they might require a little thought, are not too deep but at the same time will not insult his intelligence. I've also heard good things of his most recent effort, Pompeii.

Hi Freya, I think "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield fits all of your criteria - it's superb historical fiction that's swashbuckling (for want of a better word) but also full of rich historical detail and intrigue.

My dad really loves Louis L'amour books. They're cowboy adventure kind of stories and they're wilding popular amonst men of that era.

Try Wilbur Smith - go for Birds of Prey. If he likes it, the series continues with Monsoon and (I think) Blue Horizon.

Dan Brown , James Patterson, Tom Clancy is usually a big dad favorite, Dean Koontz ....anything on bestsellers or bargain that they have loads of in the store is most likely because they at one time had that many people buying it. Which means that since most people bought it, it probably doesn't require that much thought and is entertaining enough to attract them to it.

Back