• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone like Brett Easton Ellis and Vladimir Nabokov?

BlankGeneration

Because I am huge fans of both great authors. And I am looking for yet another author to feed my postmodern addiction!

I would have to say that I absolutely love Less Than Zero and Lolita. So, if anyone has any ideas please tell me!

Oh, and no, I don't like Jane Austin...I mean I bet she was great in her time...but now I just can't stand her work....probably what is going to happen to Ellis's work....

Because I am huge fans of both great authors. And I am looking for yet another author to feed my postmodern addiction!
Nabokov isn't all that postmodern, is he? I've only read Mary and Lolita and neither struck me as being postmodern, although I suppose the opening to Lolita, before Humbert starts telling the story, pushes it into the realms of metafiction and therefore postmodern. Other works, I'm sure, revel in postmodernism, Pale Fire springing to mind.

Have you read any Paul Auster? Jorge Luis Borges? Umberto Eco? Italo Calvino (especially If On A Winter's Night A Traveler)?

And Georges Perec's A Void may interest. Pushing the boat out, something by Milorad Pavic?

I'm aware there's plenty of American postmodernists but I've never been drawn to their works, usually because they seem to come in one size: brick!

Nabokov isn't all that postmodern, is he? I've only read Mary and Lolita and neither struck me as being postmodern, although I suppose the opening to Lolita, before Humbert starts telling the story, pushes it into the realms of metafiction and therefore postmodern. Other works, I'm sure, revel in postmodernism, Pale Fire springing to mind.

Have you read any Paul Auster? Jorge Luis Borges? Umberto Eco? Italo Calvino (especially If On A Winter's Night A Traveler)?

And Georges Perec's A Void may interest. Pushing the boat out, something by Milorad Pavic?

I'm aware there's plenty of American postmodernists but I've never been drawn to their works, usually because they seem to come in one size: brick!

You are correct about Nabokov, most of his work isn't postmodernism, but there are elements in his work, Pale Fire and Despair are both examples.

I read The New York Trilogy and Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster...but I haven't even heard of Jorge Luis Borges or Umberto Eco. And I wanted to read If On A Winter's Night A Traveler forever, but I haven't been able to find it!

I'll look into those! Thanks!

Oh your awful! :lol:

Back