• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone read any James Herbert recently?

RobertFKennedy

I used to enjoy his books when I was a youngster. Rats, Lair, Ghosts of Sleath, Creed etc were all cracking reads when I was in my teens.

Havent heard much about him in recent years, in fact I dont even know if he's still alive.

Anyone read anything more recent by him or got any thoughts on his books?

There was a thread here that talked about the scariest book you've ever read, and there was a couple of posts on The Fog. Never been frightened by any book I've read so far, I happily hunted one down and bought it. Haven't read it yet, though. :)

However, the book's cover is a severed woman's head held up by a disembodied hand, so I'm a little scared just picking up the book...

ds

RobertFKennedy said:
I used to enjoy his books when I was a youngster. Rats, Lair, Ghosts of Sleath, Creed etc were all cracking reads when I was in my teens.

Havent heard much about him in recent years, in fact I dont even know if he's still alive.

Anyone read anything more recent by him or got any thoughts on his books?

He's got a new book coming out soon. It might already be out in HB, don't know. My mother used to buy me his books when I was a kid, so I have a bit of a soft spot for his books. I guess you could call him my Stephen King...

His last few books have been dire: Once..., Nobody True, etc. My favourite is Haunted and, having read plenty of Herbert, is the only one I'd recommend. Actually, The Magic Cottage was good at the time too. Haunted's sequel, The Ghosts of Sleath, wasn't very good.

Stewart said:
His last few books have been dire: Once..., Nobody True, etc. My favourite is Haunted and, having read plenty of Herbert, is the only one I'd recommend. Actually, The Magic Cottage was good at the time too. Haunted's sequel, The Ghosts of Sleath, wasn't very good.

I quite enjoyed Once and Nobody True. Haunted was ok, but Sleath and Magic Cottage I found a bit average.

Read Fog and haunted but that was a long time ago! I havnt read any of his for a while!

Back