• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Appeals court reverses Steinbeck copyrights ruling

Robert

Judge to rule in favor of Penguin Group Inc. and heirs of the author's widow

Court reverses Steinbeck copyrights ruling - TODAY: Books - MSNBC.com

A federal appeals court has reversed a ruling that awarded John Steinbeck's son and granddaughter publishing rights to 10 of the author's early works, including “The Grapes of Wrath.”
The ruling by the 2nd U.S. District Court of Appeals will leave the rights in the hands of Penguin Group Inc. and the heirs of John Steinbeck's widow, Elaine. John Steinbeck IV died in 1991; his wife in 2003.

Copyright laws in the U.S. are royally screwed up.

In this case, they seem to be slightly less complicated that Steinbecks personal life. From the same article...

When Steinbeck died, he bequeathed his interest in the copyrights to his widow while his two sons each received $50,000 in trust funds. In 1994, Elaine Steinbeck and Penguin signed a new agreement adding several other early Steinbeck works and some of his posthumous works. It also improved the economic terms, providing a larger annual guaranteed advance and royalties of between 10 and 15 percent of retail sales.
When she died, Elaine Steinbeck left her copyright interests to heirs including her children and grandchildren from a previous marriage but she excluded Steinbeck's two sons and their heirs.

Steinbecks Travels With Charley is one of my very favorite 'hammock vacations':)

Reading that made my brain hurt and leaves me even more confused. I'll blame that on the lack of sleep.

Back