• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

April 2010: Edith Wharton: The Age of Innocence

I am trying to post a copy of the painting by Mary Cassett called "In the Loge", which I think illustrates the beginning of the story, but cannot figure out how to do it. What is the secret?

Finished. I loved the story even though i was hoping for a different ending... I'll post more about it later.

I enjoyed it. What a strange world of rules and social structure they lived in. I liked the way it ended. Without giving anything away it was interesting to note that those rules were were changing.

It's about time we start discussing it, right? So here's my thoughts on the book. For starters I have to say I loved it's story. I'm a sucker for honour stories, so this was just perfect for me. In the end it all came down to choosing love or honouring one's commitments. It was also a reminder of how sometimes making rushed decisions can alter all your life.

But it's a lot more than a love story, it's also a critique of the society of the time, a society that avoided everything and everyone unpleasant, that followed its rules without questioning them and where change was frowned upon.

About the ending, like I had said before, I was expecting something different, but considering Archer's personality, maybe it was the only ending possible. But I got the feeling he prefered
the illusion of loving Ellen, of what could have been, to risking living that love in full, cause most of the times things never really measure up to our expectations.

Has anyone seen the movie adaptation? I only saw about half of it (had unexpected visitors that afternoon), I think I saw it till the part where Archer goes to look for Ellen and finds the umbrella. But anyways I thought it was very faithful to the book, I was only disappointed to find out Ellen has dark hair, cause I couldn't help but picturing her as Michelle Pfeiffer's character.

I actually did a report on The Age of Innocence a year ago. This book contains the most accurate male character ever written by a female. Of course, the guilded age social politics made him a bit odd, but still relevant today.

Concerning the movie, I had to keep in mind that it was Scorcese doing the picture - you have to allow him a bit of room to do his thing. I agree with you completely on the casting thought: May is a blonde and Ellen has dark hair. They got that one wrong. Plus, Pfeifer was not nearly attractive or exotic enough in the movie.

I love the way that May ended up running things behind the scenes in this book. Archer sees her as so innocent and naive, but the girl owns him! I was a bit upset that she died, as she would have made a great matriarch moving forward. However, Wharton always wrote about this era as if it did not exist anymore by the turn of the century. Therefore, May would not have had the same clout as the other powerful matriarchs of Old New York.

I love the way that May ended up running things behind the scenes in this book. Archer sees her as so innocent and naive, but the girl owns him! I was a bit upset that she died, as she would have made a great matriarch moving forward. However, Wharton always wrote about this era as if it did not exist anymore by the turn of the century. Therefore, May would not have had the same clout as the other powerful matriarchs of Old New York.

I don't think May ran things,she allowed him to do what he had to do and make a decision.Ellen was the strong one.
Loved the story and the ending.They were both strong women.

I don't think May ran things,she allowed him to do what he had to do and make a decision.Ellen was the strong one.
Loved the story and the ending.They were both strong women.
I agree. Archer was the week one. I loved Ellen's character. Besides what society thought of her, she was more honorable than anyone else.

I own the DVD. Martin Scorsese directed a fine adaptation.

Did you read the book?

Just an exert from the book which I loved:

"she spoke with the cold blooded complacency of the aged throwing earth into the grave of young hopes..."

Back