• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Apuleius: The Golden Ass

saliotthomas

Lucius Apuleius Platonicus (c. AD 123/125-c. AD 180)
This is a little pearl of classic literature, "It is an imaginative, irreverent, and amusing work that relates the ludicrous adventures of one Lucius, who experiments in magic and is accidentally turned into an ass. In this guise he hears and sees many unusual things, until escaping from his predicament in a rather unexpected way. Within this frame story are found multiple digressions, the longest among them being the well-known tale of Cupid and Psyche."
It is truly funny,a bit in the line of the 1000 night(the good transaltions),Lucius the roman nobleman suffer the worst humiliations,and the outraged tone he use is a delight of every page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass

The copy I read was translated by J. Arthur Hanson. It's the only place I remember seeing the whole of the Cupid & Psych story.

I like your summary, saliotthomas.

Did you like it?

Yes! It was a fun read, and I have always enjoyed mythology. The copy I read was interesting because it was written in Latin on left side with the English translation on the right side. Too bad I don’t understand Latin.

I read this book for my studies and I liked it.
The reason I started reading it was this aspect of metamorphosis but I also enjoyed the story of Cupid & Psyche very much.

The reason I started reading it was this aspect of metamorphosis but I also enjoyed the story of Cupid & Psyche very much.

I noticed that Metamorphosis was an alternate title, and I think it's more fitting of the story then The Golden Ass.

would you know of some other books about metamorphosis?There the obvious Kafka,that about the only on coming to mind!

Yes, Kafka is also the first name I have in mind, when I'm thinking about metamorphosis.

If I'm not mistaken in Ovid's Metamorphosis you can read the story about Proteus who was able to change/disguise in everyone else.

And maybe The Rhinoceros by Eugène Ionesco could be interesting.

That's all for the moment I can think of but I try to find out more.

Goodness! I have't read that book since I was a freshman at university and I still have the book somewhere... Perhaps sometime this summer I will re-read it.

Back