• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arcane Thriller Authors?

I'm guessing that you don't want arcane books that are thrillers, but thrillers with arcane themes? Still, not exactly sure what you mean by arcane. That could apply to anything from modern 'occult' themed books by Anne Rice or even Stephen King, or an old spy thriller with strange events like Eric Ambler's A Coffin for Demetrios.

PD James is always writing mysteries that take place in monasteries and convents and places like that, but they're pretty conventional at heart.

Have you read Sherlock Holmes? Conan Doyle might be considered as interested in the arcane.

You might try The Name of the Rose or Foulcault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. He has a new book out too that's being discussed somewhere on this board.

By 'Arcane Authors' I meant Auhtor like Dan Brown (which is the only author i know in this genre).Get the picture ?

But Dan Brown is not arcane.

Anyway, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum is the daddy of arcane thrillers.
Never read The Rule of Four - it's shit.
I believe Arthur-Perez Reverte (or whatever his name is) writes some.
Lawrence Norfolk also writes arcana.

Alternatively, you could go to Amazon and read the people who bought this also bought this sections and explore Amazon. You can usually find new authors who dabble in the same sort of stuff; the trick to finding a good author is, of course, reading the reviews and then filtering out the crap reviews.

I especially liked this comment by a reviewer on Amazon about The Da Vinci Code:

Robert Langdon, quicker than anyone can spell iambic pentameter, sets a cracking pace, relying on nothing more than the author to extract him from every kind of impossible scrape

Says it all really. :)

I think The Da Vinci Code is an excellent case study for being able to filter crap out of book selection. The majority of its five stars are from people claiming that it's a great read and...well, that's about it. The lower stars are from people writing lengthier reviews and actually saying why they are saying things about it. The five star raters don't say why they think it's great - it just is which means you can filter out their recommendation and focus on the lower star ratings. On reading you discover it's predictable crap, full of made up arcana which purports to be fact, and is populated with some of the most cardboard characters since the invention of the cardboard box.

Seriously worm, I was only wondering how you would define that term 'arcane thriller' exactly, without reference to Dan Brown.

From Dictionary.com:

Arcane Ar*cane", a. L. arcanus.
Hidden; secret. Obs. "The arcane part of divine wisdom."
--Berkeley.

Books about things that are hidden and secret that read like Dan Brown's?

Just trying to understand.... :confused:

ions said:
Books about things that are hidden and secret that write like Dan Brown?

:

Sorry, ions, but this statement does not add clarity. I know what arcane means, and as I said earlier, it can apply to literature in many ways. The Kabbalah is arcane, the torah is arcane. But what is an arcane thriller?

Wasn't adding it for you. Was pointing out the word misusage to maybe get a better description from Worm.

maybe worm just meant the subject matter. like dc is about the mysteries of the grail and it is also a thriller. :confused:

Ions
Books about things that are hidden and secret that read like Dan Brown's?

jenngorham
the subject matter. like dc is about the mysteries of the grail and it is also a thriller

Exactly what I meant.

Arcane : mysterious,"secret", add that to Thriller = Arcane Thriller.
The reason I gave reference to Dan Brown,was that I found his book falling in the same genre I want to ask. Also,I want to read something like 'DaVinci Code',or better.

The rating for 'The Dante Club' is 4 Start Out of 5 on Amazon.And the plot is also interesting.How come u say that it is more gruesome then DaVinci ?

There's just quite a bit more blood & gore, you know, descriptions of what the killer is doing to the victims. In Da Vinci, it was basically just a mystery, the only violence was committed by Silas and that was either to himself or to a few others whose deaths weren't described in too much detail.

No, I thought Dante Club was fine, it held my interest as well as Da Vinci Code. I'm just stating one of the differences between the two books.

RobertFKennedy
Try some of Robert Ludlum's books. He's the guy who wrote the Bourne Identity and its follow ups

I've read some of his books,and they were pretty good.But the one i read,had to do something with the Nazis.Or the story was forced to link up with them.

Back