• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are Audiobooks Cheating?

I've actually never listened to an audio book, I've always found then too expensive for what I think I would get out of it. I prefer the real thing. Though, when I was spending a lot of time in the car, they might have worked for me.

Prairie_Girl said:
I've actually never listened to an audio book, I've always found then too expensive for what I think I would get out of it. I prefer the real thing. Though, when I was spending a lot of time in the car, they might have worked for me.
Most public libraries have audio books. You might try there.

I just stopped at the library today and picked up another audio book because I had finished the last one. I drive an hour each way to get to and from work. There is one audio book that I will purchase if I see it in a store, and that is The Five People You Meet in Heaven. The narrator's voice was perfect, and there were little background sound effects in just the right places.

abecedarian said:
...I have a significant hearing loss in one ear, and too much noise all around me constantly, for me to concentrate on them...

I'm "deaf in the left", but that doesn't stop me. I've got to have my fix. :)

The Prussian said:
I'm "deaf in the left", but that doesn't stop me. I've got to have my fix. :)
Yeah, but she homeschools her ten kids so when she says there is too much noise around her constanly, she means it. There's nary quiet moment in her house. :eek:

When I visit my mother, who lives halfway across the state, I listen to a book. I would go bonkers if I didn't.

Keep listening!

This next week end, I'm heading to Estes Park Colorado-a good six hour drive from where I live. Unless I want to listen to AM country stations the whole way, :eek: :eek: I'd better grab some good reading material while the wife is driving, and be sure to grab an audio book or two for when I'm driving. Excellent point there Prussian.

cajunmama said:
Yeah, but she homeschools her ten kids so when she says there is too much noise around her constanly, she means it. There's nary quiet moment in her house. :eek:

My apologies. I didn't know that.

Yikes.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I am curious now that audiobooks are more common, are they cheating?

I often have long dog transports and I prefer audiobooks to music because I think the dogs find it more relaxing. I will listen to a book I have already read or a book I have heard a lot about but don't want to invest the time to read (cough-fifty shades-cough). Yet I wouldn't consider only listening to my book club book, so deep down I must feel its cheating a wee bit.

I don't think it's cheating. I've only listened to books I've already read because I find I get easily distracted and sometimes I get sidetracked and stop paying attention to what I'm listening...

I don't think its cheating at all, but I do think that not all books are written to be easily read. The rhythms of speech are different to writing.

Last edited:
What an awesome thread to reanimate! Good job Ronny. :)

My vote is definitely "no" on this. I shared it somewhere else, but I will reiterate it now. I heard a report of a librarian who read a book at work, one at home, and had an audiobook for her daily commutes. I've kept that routine up except for the book at work thing and it has worked wonderfully. You can get just as much out of an audiobook as yo do having actually "read" a book with your eyes.

Some of these older threads are interesting, because they show how much the world of reading has changed in such a short time :)

I love using my commute time to listen to books. And I am fortunate that my library has a nice selection.

And yet audiobooks have been around for a very long time. They just used to be more the domain of the sight impaired.

And yet audiobooks have been around for a very long time. They just used to be more the domain of the sight impaired.
You're right and that made me remember, even when I was little I had audiobooks. They were little read along stories, a book with a tiny record, I distinctly remember listening to Star Wars with my brother :)

Ok lol I'm revealing my age here, but I remember having a little record in the back of the Little Golden Books that you played while following along in the book.

Yes we had, the Little Engine That Could, the Velveteen Rabbit, and, Pokey Little Puppy :)

"I think I can, I think I can... "

That was one of my favourites. That and Dr Seuss. But I had a whole collection of those Little Golden Books. And nearly every Noddy book. I wish I still had them, I'm sure they would be worth something today.

I don't consider audio books "cheating" nor Spark Notes for that matter. You're still digesting information. Actually, listening to school texts while you drive is an excellent idea.

Back