• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you a cynic?

mama-sama

Do you have a sneering disbelief in sincerity? :(

Be truthful. You either are or you are not.

Which is it? And why?

Are you over 30? ;)

Yes I must admit that I am. (if cynicism is what I think it is) I rarely believe in the sanctity of the human nature and I always feel someone is trying to decieve me, swindle me for something. Am I right?

p.s. I am not over 30. Cut that in half and you'll get my real age.

By the way. What an odd topic to come up with.

Surely you can't be calling me odd? ;)

Well, anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see what people think of themselves for a change instead of what they think of others.

But, on the other hand, it's what they think of others that defines what they think of themselves.

I think about people's intentions constantly. But I'm not rude in my dealings with other people, which is generally what I picture when I think of what a cynic is. I just smile, act polite, and think bad things about them.

I'm a bit cynical, mostly in my depressive moments. But mostly I trust people, although I don't think I'm gullible enough to trust everything someone says.

And I'm only eighteen, so maybe that's going to change.

Nope. I'm VERY sarcastic and my husband tends to mistake that for cynicism, but in reality I'm glass half full. I don't know that I've always been this way (or maybe I have and just didn't realize it), but I certainly am now. Oh, and I'm rushing toward twenty seven, but I've got a bit to go before I hit thirty.
'

I don't know if I'm cynical. I do say a lot of cynical things, and I don't think I'd go ten minutes without saying something sarcastic, but I think deep down I like to believe in the good intentions that people have.

So, maybe I'm not cynical, I'm an optimist (opposite of cynical? who can be bothered using their brain at 11:53pm) who wears a protective armour of cynicism.

That was a lame metaphor. If you're a cynic, you'll laugh at me. If not, you'll love me for having a go.

I'm sarcastic, though in a fun, joking way with family and friends. I'm fairly positive. Now mehastings on the other hand, there is a cynical person. Heck, she thinks the Salvation Army bell-ringers are just in it for the money. ;) :rolleyes: :)

I don't know if I really qualify as cynical in the way most people see it. I'm sarcastic, distrusting, etc., but at the same time I tend to be pretty bubbly and optimistic about most things a lot of the time. That just depends on such things as who I'm with, what mood I'm in, and what meds I'm on.

I highly doubt most people are sincere all of the time, and I know a few people who are pretty good at faking sincerity. At the same time, I think most things will eventually work themselves out, and I don't think people are trying to get at me through deceit. Who has the time? So I'm not sure, but there you go.

Now mehastings on the other hand, there is a cynical person. Heck, she thinks the Salvation Army bell-ringers are just in it for the money. ;) :rolleyes: :)

OK, that is just not true...well...sortof. I did call the Salvation Army and complain about a crazy bell ringer a few weeks ago though. That was an isolated incident though!! :eek:

I did call the Salvation Army and complain about a crazy bell ringer a few weeks ago though. That was an isolated incident though!! :eek:

I knew it!, I knew it!. An isolated incident...pheph!.:rolleyes: Yeah, like getting mad at Santa Claus is an isolated incident...or hitting the easter bunny with your car. Sure........:rolleyes: :D

I knew it!, I knew it!. An isolated incident...pheph!.:rolleyes: Yeah, like getting mad at Santa Claus is an isolated incident...or hitting the easter bunny with your car. Sure........:rolleyes: :D

She was CRAZY, I swear. I was very nice to the friendly bell ringer playing the trumpet. I even gave him money!

OK, that is just not true...well...sortof. I did call the Salvation Army and complain about a crazy bell ringer a few weeks ago though. That was an isolated incident though!! :eek:

I know that bell ringer! Strange guy shaking that damn bell in my face.:eek:

Vespertilio91: Wow, that soooooooooooo proves SFG75's point. You are cynical, and you should enjoy it. I do.

You are waayyyy too young to be so cynical. Maybe you're just "cautious".;)

Believe me, if you knew me, you'd think I was the most pessimistic and sarcastic person you've ever met. And some people say I have no heart, that I am as cold as an Ice Age glacier. I doubt that that is "cautious".

Believe me, if you knew me, you'd think I was the most pessimistic and sarcastic person you've ever met. And some people say I have no heart, that I am as cold as an Ice Age glacier. I doubt that that is "cautious".

Okay, I will just take your word for it. But from what you say, Im fairly sure you dont take any shit from anyone! Thats a good thing. And your signature does say something - I like it.;)

I'm sarcastic, though in a fun, joking way with family and friends. I'm fairly positive. Now mehastings on the other hand, there is a cynical person. Heck, she thinks the Salvation Army bell-ringers are just in it for the money. ;) :rolleyes: :)
Interesting note about Salvation Army bell-ringers. I used to give money to every one I passed, but my pastor recently admitted to me that when people who come to him for help are referred to the Salvation Army, not a single one in ten years has been helped. However, they are quick to refer people to our food pantry. Now I donate my charity money to my own church where I know--nay, I even assist in putting it in good hands through community groups I'm in.

So, I wonder what the Salvation Army does with that money if it doesn't help people who need food and money to pay their electric and whatnot. My pastor said that about a hundred people call him every week needing help, and he can help maybe seven of them. If each person in the congregation gave a three hundred dollars a week we could help everyone, but no one has that kind of money. And we still manage to do quite a bit.

I'm cynical about some things, but I wouldn't call myself a pessimist. I just don't trust people and their intentions :D

I'm 18, by the way.

I'm cynical about some things, but I wouldn't call myself a pessimist. I just don't trust people and their intentions :D

I'm 18, by the way.
Being cynical and pessimistic are two completely different things. Sounds to me like you are a cynic. Not that there is anything wrong with that.;)

Back