• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you picky about the condition of your books?

HermioneWeasley said:
i've noticed how many people are so picky about the condition of their books, and while tearing books on purpose(gasp!!) surves no purpose, i think it's the content that matters. I think if a a book is old, dog eared and falling apart it's better then a brand new one-it shows that you've read and appreciated the book, maybe even reread it!

Hermione, I'm with you. I think of people in the same way..a little bit of damage here and there only suggests a life of love and adventure!!

I keep my books in perfect condition. I never EVER dog ear the pages. I use a bookmark instead.

I rarely lend out books, others may not feel the same about my books as I do.

Like me i always keep my books in perfect condition and i always use a book mark and don't fold the book back too much.

Hi all,

I always cover my books in clear plastic self-adhesive film (sticky-backed plastic to those of a certain generation), it does seem to help to stop the spines from drying out and cracking. And I kinda like the ritual of doing it.....does that make me a tad weird?

I collect those souvenir leather bookmarks so I use those to mark the page I'm on. If the book is something I'm likely to use a lot, like a reference book, non-fiction, that kind of thing, then I will get it covered in strong thick clear plastic at my workplace.
Since I work in an academic library with a very good in-house book-binding and conservation section, staffed by a very accommodating chap who will undertake repairs and suchlike for the price of a pint, or a bottle of wine for a bigger job, I'm quite well-off in the book-welfare department.

All books should be treated with love and care. They are precious, living things......

just no dog-eared pages:mad:

I have TBF to thank for noticing that myself. I use to be pretty bad at dog-earing books,:eek: but since we had a thread on bookmarks, I have to say that I have changed completley and that I use a bookmark. Otherwise, I force myself to memorize the page number. :D

I take very good care of my books. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking care of anything especially when they're something you value so much. I adore my books and I want to continue doing that for a long long time. I carry my books in a case when I go out. I am careful not to bend to crease the spine or put too much of a bend in the cover. I take care of the things I value.

I take very good care of my books. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking care of anything especially when they're something you value so much. I adore my books and I want to continue doing that for a long long time. I carry my books in a case when I go out. I am careful not to bend to crease the spine or put too much of a bend in the cover. I take care of the things I value.

I understand what you mean, and I agree. At the same time, I like the look and feel of a well-worn book. Kind of like a broken in baseball glove.:)

Sure if it's a used book its wear is a badge of its experience. But if it's new and under my care I want to keep it in the best shape possible. I bought a used copy of Michener's Hawaii for a buck with the proceeds going to a local animal aid program. The front cover was held on by a few tenacious fibers of paper. A couple hundred pages in the spine split in half. It was convenient since it was a 1200 page brick. The split created a convenient part 1 and 2. After I finished I duct taped that baby up.

I like the idea that a used book has a history. Remember though, you can't judge a book by its wear. I study my books. I make notes. I copy passages. I still keep the book pristine. That is the history I leave the book.

Back