• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ariel Castro and three kidnapped women in Cleveland

Same in Canada - do you think there was enough for a warrant when someone reported seeing a woman crawling around the back yard - not usual behaviour unless she was looking for weeds? Just sounds a wee bit like something slipped through the cracks. But as you say, maybe folks in Cleveland and other big cities just mind their own business.

Same in Canada - do you think there was enough for a warrant when someone reported seeing a woman crawling around the back yard - not usual behaviour unless she was looking for weeds? Just sounds a wee bit like something slipped through the cracks. But as you say, maybe folks in Cleveland and other big cities just mind their own business.

because the report needs to be substantiated by the cops themselves. Unless they have actual direct evidence of wrong doing they can't just presume it. Neighbours have been known to institute nuisance complaints, and there is the prank call factor as well.

I believe the oddness was due to the fact that she was naked as reported by a witness.
Plus, there was an instance of the neighbor seeing a woman at the attic window, beating on it, crying for help. So, they were not in the basement the entire time. Evidently. It's difficult to imagine that the police, hearing those allegations would not investigate a wee bit more.

I read in one report that loud music was played often, that should drown out a few screams. The women were also kept chained and tied up. There be monsters...

and we don't always recognize them!

I think we do, but we don't listen to that inner voice that says something isn't right and we justify it away. We shush the child who says they 'don't like that person' and tell them that there is nothing wrong with them, when the child's instincts are warning them. We never grow out of that inner voice/instinct but we do stop listening. Much to our regret at times, both as individuals and as a society.

@ Canuck, sorry I didn't see your question. I was just being an idiot. I watched the interview with the guy that found/rescued the girl and he made the comment that the neighbor "Must have had some big testicles", apparently because he kept these girls locked up and basically went about life as usual right in front of the whole neighborhood. I thought the finder/rescuer dude was hilarious and I thought most people had seen the video of his interview.
So, just my sense of humor failing. Like it does about 75% of the time. :)

Castro's attorney seems to think Castro is not a monster and that the media should stop demonising him. He also says that Castro loved the six-year-old girl "dearly".

Re: neighbours not noticing anything. I don't even know who my neighbours are, I know there's a young couple across the hallway and an old lady who smokes and has a boxer (dog, not person) who lives on the ground floor. And I do hear some odd stomping around and raised voices but I have never once thought that anything bad would be going on. So no, I'm not surprised that none of the neighbours noticed anything.

And saying that the police should've done something before is very easy to say after the events. No idea what might have been the actual situation, visible to the police that is, at the time.

@753C - no problem - I guess it was meant to be that he was brave and not referring to his anatomy. :)

@Polly - yes, Sparkchaser did say that in a big cities most people just mind their own business and don't pay much attention to their neighbours. As to feeling any sort of compassion for Mr. Castro, it's difficult to for me to dredge up sympathy for a man who allegedly kidnapped three females and held them captive for around ten years while using them as his personal sex slaves.

As to the police, it's difficult to know what the situation might have been, however, he was known to the police for others assaults and never had to spend any jail time. It's a bit of a puzzle to me.

canuck, it's just not in big cities that people mind their own business. I live in a small town (less than 3000 people) and although I know all the neighours in my building, I don't really know any on the street or in the neighbourhood...

You can know your neighbors pretty darn well in a general sense and not have any idea what goes on in their homes. I could empathize with Charles Ramsey (the discoverer/rescuer). I've BBQ'd with neighbors plenty of times, talked sports, weather, grubs in the lawn, etc, etc. Does that mean they might not be serial kidnappers/murderers? No it does not.
No one that is really good at being a serial kidnapper or killer or whatever is dumb enough to do anything serial killer-like in their yard, in full view of their neighbors.

753C - I'm going to be keeping a close watch on my neighbours from now on. Will report back if anything unusual happens. :)

You can know your neighbors pretty darn well in a general sense and not have any idea what goes on in their homes. I could empathize with Charles Ramsey (the discoverer/rescuer). I've BBQ'd with neighbors plenty of times, talked sports, weather, grubs in the lawn, etc, etc. Does that mean they might not be serial kidnappers/murderers? No it does not.
That's the way it is here, too. We've known most of our neighbors for over 20 years; long enough that I could easily miss little clues that something was amiss.

Naked girl crawling around in the back yard? too much to drink?

Sad but true.

Back