• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Art projects

novella

Some artist just made a bar of soap from the fat of Silvio Berlusconi, showed it in the Art Basel show in Switzerland, and sold it for $18,000.

Okay.

So I'm wondering what art project you would do if you could do anything?

Tie-Dye the world. 'Nuff said.

(see, I'm getting into the type of posting typical on this forum *grin*)

that's a sweet idea.

How about a life-size candle of Dick Cheney, with a big wick sticking out of his head? It could be a patio torch that lasts all summer. Watching it melt while you eat your burgers and stuff would be fun.

Tempting. You could decorate your entire yard with melting political figures--a very powerful statement, and if you add citronella they'd keep the bugs away.

And some form of art that would let everyone see how connected they are to everyone else, so they would get off their rear and help each other out. But that's beyond my powers of even imagination.

I'd create a "new concept in writing" and sell chances to participate in my book on Ebay. What that's already been done??

OK, so I'd make my entire driveway into a huge, brightly colored mosaic. Probably something with a sailing/nautical theme. Then I'd paint my house and mailbox a color that complimented it.

I'm still working out the specifics, but so far I'm thinking elbow macaroni and Elmer's glue...

Acolyte said:
Tempting. You could decorate your entire yard with melting political figures--a very powerful statement, and if you add citronella they'd keep the bugs away.

And some form of art that would let everyone see how connected they are to everyone else, so they would get off their rear and help each other out. But that's beyond my powers of even imagination.

Okay, how about selling bricks with people's names engraved to all the residents of a town and building a public gym out of them! Of course, you could buy more than one brick, even a huge stone or a window or a floor. Every part of the building would have a name.

Stewart said:
Piss on a Dan Brown novel and sell it for $1 billion. Fact!

Now, if I were to make real art out of The Da Vinci Code, I would unbind the book, shuffle the pages, rebind it, and call it Cache Dot Divine or Do Vindicate Che. By Brad Wonn, of course.

In the National Gallery in Ottawa I saw this exhibit where a fellow had taken two french dictionaries (to get both sides of the page) and cut out every word, sticking them onto small pieces of card which were then placed like little sign posts on a big table. Every word was there, and on various levels. And around this table containing all the words were glass panels, behind which the dictionary pages from which the words had been cut were stuck. Each word had been cut out precisely so that you could see through where the word had been, and were left with only the definitions. And all the letters in the remaining text which had enclosed spaces (like d, g, o, etc) were coloured in black for the entire dictionary!!

I have a feeling this was some kind of french language superiority/separitist expression, but it impressed me for the time-consuming, painstaking detail which made me wonder what else this fellow could have done with his life.

honeydevil, you never ask the point of art. :) What did use did the Berlusconi-fat soap have? For 18,000 bucks, you'd never bathe with it.

I just read about the Japanese perfume that has no scent. It's extremely popular, because the Zen ideal is to have no personal scent. Think it's by Yoji Yamamoto and costs a few hundred for a couple of ounces. Now that's art.

so what you're trying to say is that art exists only then if you sell something worthless or strange to people for a bunch of money...?

I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd blow up a couple thousand helium balloons in different colors and arrange them in a mosaic. Then I'd catch them all in a flat net, still in the mosaic arrangement, and float them up in the sky, and drive around town with them attached to my car, so everyone could see.

:D :D

Oh, Novella, you could still become a great artist, I think!

The nearest thing to the discussed theme that I've made myself, was a figure of our First President, then a General Secretary of CPSU, Mr. Michail Gorbachev (remember the one who was supposedly responsible for demolishing the Berlin Wall and USSR, and installing Perestroyka, Glasnost, etc.). I made Mr. Gorbachev in the netsuke technique, as a wealthy Japanese man sitting on the neck of a farmer, clothed in rugs. Mr. Gorbachev held the farmer by the ear for additional stability, as he smiled jovially and held his other hand up in greeting to the peoples of the world. The farmer held his burden with evident difficulty, using a stick not to fell down.
The figure was quite small - about 12 cm in height, made of boxwood save for a mark in Mr. Gorbachev's forehead, which was made of mahogany. To achieve facial likeness I spent days on many photographs of Gorbachev, and the result was good.

When the figure was finished, I gave it to some people, together with some other figures I made, as samples of what I could do - in order to find prospective customers. And it was sold - against my will - supposedly to somebody from Italian Embassy in Moscow. They gave me $500 for it, but when I asked to return me the figure in return for these money, they told me that the new owner has already left for Italy.

So, maybe Mr. Berlusconi has looked at my netsuke when donating his fat for the artefact mentioned above...

Sergo, what a nice thing you made! I love netsuke. What precise work that must have been, particularly an inlay in Gorby's forehead.

Back