• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

art? what's your favorite?

leckert searches frantically for his thesaurus...

See, I don't need all these big words to explain Ansel Adams.

He's just cool.

And that's why ice cream comes in vanilla, and chocolate. (and twirly, too, if you can't decide!)

And, while some may see "The Bed" as a sort of creative, personal, soul-baring portrait of a tortured mind, I just see it as a 3-week grounding and a lecture about responsibility.

The noose in the background is so cliche it should be in a Warner Brothers cartoon.

It does irritate me that a portion of every tax dollar goes to support this. On the other hand, who, then, should be the defining authority on "what is art". I guess that is a debate that has been going on since Trag first scribbled a naked drawing of Ooga on the wall of their cave.

To each his own, but I don't think a jar of piss is fantastically creative, nor do I want to look at it - no matter what religious icon you drop into it.

leckert said:
On the other hand, who, then, should be the defining authority on "what is art".

I don't think we need a defining authority. Common sense, maybe? If someone wrote a single four letter word and said that it is an epic novel encompassing the tribulations of mankind in the last 4000 years or something like that, would anyone fall for it? Why do people accept such a lot of nonsense in art when they would just laught if somebody try those tricks in any other field?

i love gustav klimt. but my favourite 2 paintings i am fortunate enough to own. this is in my living room and is painted on an old mirror.ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a147_jenngorham_release050.jpg
and this is in my dining room. it is approx. 4x6 and is a shock of colour. ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a147_jenngorham_release049.jpg

(In My Humble, But Accurate, Opinion)(IMHBAO)

clueless said:
I don't think we need a defining authority. Common sense, maybe?

I completely agree, clueless. My concern is that some of the crap (literally, in some cases) is getting funded by US Tax Dollars because someone has deemed it "art".

While our common sense tells us that a turd suspended by a string over a paper mache (sp?) toilet bowl is not art, if "we" (society) were to say so, and not publicly fund such nonsense, we would be labled insensitive and prejudice against turds, or toilet bowls, or paper mache (sp?) or something.

We now, sadly, live in a world where common sense has taken a back seat to "political correctness" and we are forbidden to say "you know what, this sucks" because we may quash someone's "creative genius". I, for one, think some of this "genius" deserves nothing more than a good quashing. And, if you can't take it, then go away!

jenngorham said:
i love gustav klimt.
and this is in my dining room. it is approx. 4x6 and is a shock of colour.

i love klimpt also! his work is romantic and sexy. i LOVE your dining room painting- that's wonderful!

as for conceptual art- definitely agree with most of the posts here. i could probably make a killing if i displayed my husband's desk. it's a nightmare of papers, discs, empty juice containers and food dishes. it could really display the modern tech industry worker's plight to meet deadlines while trying to maintain a regular eating schedule. :confused:

The Ninja Turtles are my favorites. :D

(that's so much easier than typing their names)
(feel free to ask me to elaborate if you don't know the names of the Ninja Turtles)

Jenem said:
i love klimpt also! his work is romantic and sexy. i LOVE your dining room painting- that's wonderful!
:

that's how i feel about klimt too. the way he paints women is amazing. i have a large print of danae, and when i was in ottawa last time i managed to get to the national gallery and i saw hope. it was beautiful.
both paintings are done by my brother in law, peter. he is a beautiful painter, and does all kind of interesting things with old materials. he did an entire show on old doors, it was really great.

@ renee. lol, cute.

jenngorham said:
that's how i feel about klimt too. the way he paints women is amazing. i have a large print of danae, and when i was in ottawa last time i managed to get to the national gallery and i saw hope. it was beautiful.
both paintings are done by my brother in law, peter. he is a beautiful painter, and does all kind of interesting things with old materials. he did an entire show on old doors, it was really great.

@ renee. lol, cute.

wow- my husband would love it if i put up Danae! LOL

Stooooooop!!!

I'm sorry... but that's not what i intented... I didn't want that people start critizising (sp?) other peoples taste...
And i think everybody can have their own opinions about art.. Do you think that Dalis paintings (in the beginning) were seen as art or the Impressionists? Maybe there are people who try to find themselves by doing ART, maybe other poeple don't understand or just have different opinions...
Modern art is nothing else than what artists were doing all those years...trying to do something new, something different, something unique, something to communicate...
Maybe it's crap, maybe not... how do you know if the artist intended to make a statement or just dumped his garbage can... ?
Art is something were everybody finds something to identify with...
:mad:

Oh and by the way i like ansel adams... he is great and has a feeling for his surroundings which is amazing...

i also like some of the banned russian art..

mr_michel said:
i would mention gaudi buildings, you got to be there to really apreciate it, its just amazing

since my brain died earlier anyway, and i look stupid without attempting it, i just ask:
What are gaudi buildings?

honeydevil said:
since my brain died earlier anyway, and i look stupid without attempting it, i just ask:
What are gaudi buildings?

A Gaudi building

mr_michel, I agree. I think architecture can be a great art. If you like Gaudi, you'd probably like the New York Yacht Club building.

NY%20Yacht%20Club%20det%20ship%20storm%20win%20ICON.jpg

Sweeet... i like it, and i like architecture... I think Notre Dame, La Sagrada Familia and the Meteora Monestary (sp?) are pretty awsome...

honeydevil said:
I'm sorry... but that's not what i intented... I didn't want that people start critizising (sp?) other peoples taste...
And i think everybody can have their own opinions about art..
:mad:

don't be mad, honeydevil... I'm not criticizing taste. (not intentionally, anyway) I just think some of these "artists" do things purely for "shock value" and with no respect or concern for art. They act as if obscenity is art. Then the art critics stand around ooohing and aaahing about the artists "angst" and "inner turmoil" like they are friggin' Picasso or Michaelangelo, or some other Ninja Turtle.

I don't mean to offend anyone here (usually), but the aforementioned "artists" offend me.

(Dali and Picasso weren't obscene)

leckert said:
don't be mad, honeydevil... I'm not criticizing taste. (not intentionally, anyway) I just think some of these "artists" do things purely for "shock value" and with no respect or concern for art. They act as if obscenity is art. Then the art critics stand around ooohing and aaahing about the artists "angst" and "inner turmoil" like they are friggin' Picasso or Michaelangelo, or some other Ninja Turtle.

I don't mean to offend anyone here (usually), but the aforementioned "artists" offend me.

(Dali and Picasso weren't obscene)

i think i know you don't, i just want to keep it away from personel attacks...

and whatever the artist is thinking is his business and most of the artcritiques have no clue anyway... they just do their job and they don't FEEL anymore, they go with logic about art...which is in MY OPINION a thing that should never happen...

Anyone here know about Jonathan Wayshak? I have deeply fallen in love with his art, even his ink sketches are beyond gorgeous. I also adore the beautiful pieces of art that crawl out of Matt Shealy's mind.
I am not so fond of Munch, Van Gogh, Da Vinci or any of those great ''legends'' to be honest, their work might have inspired others and been revolutionary or whatever. It still isn't a reason for me to find what they've done beautiful or poetic in any way, which I think that art should be, no matter how grotesque or ugly the piece is. Dali I don't mind, but that might be because he's such an obvious weirdo, and I adore weirdos.

Back