• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

art? what's your favorite?

honeydevil

what is your favorite art piece and why? and when you at it, what is your favorite style? Is it Impressionism, Surrealism, Realism...?

The New York School of Abstract Expressionism. My favorite artist is Nell Blaine, and here is my favorite piece:

cache578175.jpg

Why? I admire their struggles through hard times that are not too different from mine.

i have a lot of favorites, i dont think i could choose just one. but i have a new favorite artist. she's local- her name is Amanda Martinson. her works are landscapes, but she's done a lot of sunsets. they're fantastic- so relaxing to look at. check out her stuff here: Amanda Martinson
my favorite is called Blazing in Gold, Quenched in Purple:

aimg77.echo.cx_img77_2614_blazingingold1xd.jpg

why the hell can't i get the img code to work?????

EDIT: img fixed thanks to Zolipara!

Jenem said:
i have a lot of favorites, i dont think i could choose just one. but i have a new favorite artist. she's local- her name is Amanda Martinson. her works are landscapes, but she's done a lot of sunsets. they're fantastic- so relaxing to look at. check out her stuff here: Amanda Martinson
my favorite is called Blazing in Gold, Quenched in Purple:

my.php

why the hell can't i get the img code to work?????

wow, they are awsome... very real....

Jenem said:
ok, glad it's not me!

yeah she'e good, it has something from a fairytale...

I'm more in the surrealistic region, i like dali... he's pretty good..., but i actually like anything that gives me a feeling...

honeydevil said:
yeah she'e good, it has something from a fairytale...

I'm more in the surrealistic region, i like dali... he's pretty good..., but i actually like anything that gives me a feeling...

yeah, Dali is so interesting. could look at his stuff for hours. i'm with you- anything that inspires emotion or feelings.

My favorite's Damien Hirst. I discovered him on www.whitecube.com, which is a good website to look over when you're bored and interested in some artistic visual stimulation!
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/H/hirst.html
"Hirst's work is an examination of the processes of life and death: the ironies, falsehoods and desires that we mobilise to negotiate our own alienation and mortality...The tank pieces incorporate dead and sometimes dissected animals - cows, sheep or the shark - preserved in formaldehyde, suspended in death."
...I sigh in admiration...
I also just discovered Ralph Steadman: http://www.kilbot.net/gallery/steadman/Ralph_Steadman_s_America_Cover_edz

Blaine and Hirst? (see above)

Rubbish! :mad:

The problem with modern art is that it isn't worth anything yet prices do get attached to it. It's a concept, supposedly; I beg to differ - it's crap. Yet people, such as Saatchi, insist on buying it and giving reason for people to piss in a bottle, or whatever, and call it art. The major art contests are jokes - the fact that a room with a light turning itself on and off can win a big money prize is ludicrous. Tracey Emin's Bed, is another. It's literally her bed, covered in empty vodka bottles, tampons, and cigarettes; looking at the minging bitch you can't help but know it's just her bed moved from a bedroom to a studio or gallery. Crap!

As such, I blame the dadists, the fauvists, and the futurists - they made this mockery of art so that the talentless could talk amongst other pretentious artwanks. Liechtenstein got away, in later years, with Pop Art just before Op Art came along (simply put, squiggly lines on canvas), and then, before them of course, was that guy who just poured paint on canvas - Jackson Pollock.

It is so bloody ridiculous that these days, as reported in the news, people are buying crap "painted" by animals for considerable sums of money. There's one turtle that walks over a canvas preprepared with splodges of paint. People buy it's wanderings on eBay.

I have a plastic spoon in my drawer. I may draw a swastika on it and call it art. Feck, it would probably win the Turner Prize.

That said, I like Dali and Magritte. I never could enjoy the Cubists (another bunch of artwanks) like Picasso and Braque.

lovermuffin said:
"Hirst's work is an examination of the processes of life and death: the ironies, falsehoods and desires that we mobilise to negotiate our own alienation and mortality...The tank pieces incorporate dead and sometimes dissected animals - cows, sheep or the shark - preserved in formaldehyde, suspended in death."
...I sigh in admiration...

You sigh, I groan. That's the sort of rubbish I'm talking about. It says nothing of the sort. I could put a pea on a pedestal and squash a bowl of fruit into the floor and talk nonsense about how it represents the way we, as a western society, view food (i.e. the bowl of fruit) so much in that we abuse it while, for the poor societies of the world who prize food as an unobtainable commodity, they see the humble pea, placed high on a pedestal, as a gift and something worthy of praise.

:D

I'd like to have Joan Miro in my office and Corot in my living room. Winslow Homer in the dining room, something like Breezing Up.

And I agree with Stewart about conceptual art, though I would not extend that opinion to all modern art. I think Chuck Close is brilliant.

Stewart said:
I could put a pea on a pedestal and squash a bowl of fruit into the floor and talk nonsense about how it represents the way we, as a western society, view food (i.e. the bowl of fruit) so much in that we abuse it while, for the poor societies of the world who prize food as an unobtainable commodity,...

And others would say, "No, he is revolting against traditionalist artwork, and challenging conservative artistic idealism" There would be a big debate over mint juleps about whether your "angry and deeply personal" piece represented the spoiled American culture, or a revolt against traditional art... either way, you would be allowed to sip your drink with them, and stroke your chin and contemplate their babble until someone else came along and shat on a silver platter.

I like Ansel Adams. I understand that. Mountains. Trees. Cool. And not all that worrisome color to distract me.

novella said:
And I agree with Stewart about conceptual art, though I would not extend that opinion to all modern art.

OKay, replace my modern art phrase with conceptual art since people do still paint landscapes and portraits in this modern day and age.

I find the neodadaist proclivities of this artistic debutante to be a soliloquy incarnate, an existential mood that requires no material definition but, with the fragile notions that it sombrely emits, enlightens one's opinion on man's inhumanity to man thus creating a conceptual lachrymatory highlighted by the repeated meme as highlighted by the blue squares making this ingenue a post-modern Mondrian for a post modern age. I do love artwank so. Let's go sip Ouzo. With olives. :rolleyes:

awww.artnet.com_Magazine_reviews_henry_Images_henry5_6_7.jpg

Just so we all know what he's talking about here.

You might also notice that my earlier post showing my favorite didn't do two things: 1) it didn't use artwank to explain why I like it; 2) it didn't insist that anyone else like it. Notice that the thread didn't ask people to convince others. Notice also that some of us managed not to frown at others' choices.

Mari said:
You might also notice that my earlier post showing my favorite didn't do two things: 1) it didn't use artwank to explain why I like it; 2) it didn't insist that anyone else like it.

Let's look at your explanation of why you like it:

I admire their struggles through hard times that are not too different from mine.

Struggles through hard times? That's just as vague as anything they produce.

Notice that the thread didn't ask people to convince others. Notice also that some of us managed not to frown at others' choices.

Notice the sarcasm just dripping from every word. Notice that nobody is trying to convince anyone of anything.

Here's a smiley --> :rolleyes: [It may help you discern subtexts]

Back