• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Artemis Fowl

I don't normally pick up YA fiction, not even Harry Potter... However, Rogue's description of "Die Hard with elves" piqued my curiousity.

I've nearly finished the first one in one sitting and believe that this may be the perfect recommendation for my 14 yr old nephew who vehemently claims that "only nerds read".

The premise is an excellent combination for imaginative folks who are tech-savvy yet want a taste of fantasy. This is a wonderful discovery that I plan on dropping in my nephew's lap in hopes of building in him a newfound joy in reading.

Thanks guys for raving about it so I can (hopefully) get my nephew bitten by the reading bug!

Artemis Fowl Is Something Special.

I have been reading artemis for a while and It is something special. :cool: It's like the greatest book ever written it is just not getting enough credit.
:eek:

Originally Posted by andrew935
Same for me Pearl. They`re suited more for kids, maybe thats the reason.

Nah, not in my case, I really enjoy childrens books.

There would be heaps of adults reading this book. I fail to see how a certain age group and another not like this book.

I finished this last night and agree with the hype. I have already presented it to my nephew (along with a monetary bribe) and he has agreed to read it! Apparently, a few of his friends have also mentioned it to him... So, there may be hope for him afterall!

Got the third book, only because I hate leaving off in the middle of a series. I should be starting it later on.

I loved the artemis fowl books! i am not normally into children's fiction but i thought that this series was intelligent, witty and funny and had an interesting concept (faries with guns :D). I had been looking forward to the release of the opal deception and it is by far the best of the fowl books.

Yes, I think that the Artemis Fowl series is the best one there is, even though I am fourteen years old. When I started reading it in grade 6, I couldn't put it down. Currently I am reading Eragon by Christopher Poalini and hope to read the Opal Deception afterwards.

its not all that good

yes i agree its good but it is unable to connect with its reader and is predictable. If u want a book to read try anything by darren shan

Hey, i have the 1st Artemis Fowl but i want to know what the order of all of the books are? Can anyone please help me thanks.

The order is as follows rhh3713;

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code (the best in my opinion)
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception

God how old is this thread

Adam i beg to differ i believe the first one was better than the eternity code but hey dats ure opinion

I've read all of the AF series so far. And, although I've enjoyed it, it's been a guilt pleasure; nothing more. I can hardly call it a seminal work - it isn't. What it does very well, is cash in on its movie/film ability. This a books made for film and nothing else. It's fun, but every scene is developed more with a camera in mind than anything else.

Overall, it's a fun book, one that pre teens would no doubt enjoy due to its morally ambiguous protagonist. He'd be the Rolling Stones if HP is the Beatles. Good Guy/ Bad guy. what do you like best, and who is it cooler to like?

As for the which is best, well, i thought the characters were alot more interesting in the 2-3 books. there's a little more to them and suddenly we're finding out what makes them tick, other than the usual $.

Also, I'm a little concerned with the story arc that colfer is producing. It dioes seem that there is generally a lack of a coherent story to bind the three. This is where HP wins it hands down for me. Although each induvidual book is pretty good AF lacks a single coherent story arc to keep its readers. I only hope that Colfer starts to put together a stronger story soon.

I agree that The Eternity Code is the best. There was too much confusing action in the last book.

I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl books, he's definately a hero with a difference and I love Holly & Foaly, I'm sure their sarcasm must be lost on kids though :)

It bothers me though, that he manages to get out of scrapes so easily all the time - I'd like to see Artemis get really stuck one day, with no Butler or Holly or technology to bail him out :)

I really enjoy the Artemis Foal books! They're far from perfect, but they're different and fun. "Fairies with guns" (as someone else put it) and a criminal mastermind as a hero are not a combination you usually see. And I lreally like Holly and Foaly.

Can't say which is my favorite, though, without the books in front of me to remind me what happens in each.

Back