• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Asterix

Asterix Books

I have been a fan of Asterix books since I was a small child and as an adult they are still great. I recently got hold of one of the later books which I didn't previoulsy own, Asterix and the Class Act, which was excellent and renewed my interest in the old books.

I made a web page about the 33 Asterix books here: Asterix Books by Goscinny and Uderzo.

If one needs an excuse, as an adult, to read Asterix books, then I have the perfect one – I buy them in German so that I can convince myself that it's really an educational exercise. ;)

Asterix books contain 704 victims of brain injury, study finds | Books | guardian.co.uk

The majority of injuries were caused by the indomitable Gauls (87.1%), with Asterix and his large sidekick Obelix themselves responsible for more than half (57.6%). Only 32 head injuries were caused by Romans, write the researchers, led by Marcel A Kamp from Heinrich Heine University, and just one by a pirate. Although 70.5% of the victims were wearing a helmet, this was lost "in the vast majority of cases", while "a doping agent called 'the magic potion'" was found to have been taken by the perpetrators of 83% of the injuries. "This substance contained mistletoe and was believed to give superhuman strength. In fact, characters who took the magic potion before traumata caused significantly more severe traumatic brain injuries," the academics discovered. They note that a component of mistletoe, lectin, has been shown to have effects on brain tumours, but say that its role in the treatment of traumatic brain injuries "needs to be clarified by further studies".

I have all Asterix comics, except for the last three books. The old ones are still great and I like them since my childhood, but the new ones have destroyed a lot of the good reputation of the series - in my eyes. It`s better if Uderzo retires...

Back