• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Attention: YOUR advice needed!

Sergo

As it is known, Moscow (Russia) is not the best place to buy the latest books in English.
It also happens to be a place where I live.
And in 10 days or so I plan to be in London. So would you care to suggest the best 10 books I should buy during my stay there? I mean the latest books, of course. "Four Musketeers" and "Alice in Wonderland" could be great advice, but I already have them in my library for all of my life, it seems...

I'll be staying in Thistle Hyde Park. If Her Majesty lets me in, of course...
You speak Russian?

Sergo said:
You speak Russian?

Нет. :(

I only speak a little Russian. I tried learning from a book but realise I may have to enroll in a night class when the next university season begins.

I see. That depends on what you want to get to: to learn from a book is OK for reading and writing, if you read books and write letters in addition to learning - that had been my way in English once. But to speak without speaking practice one must be a language genius. You may be one, of course, but for ordinary people it is much easier to took language courses with lots of speaking and listening practices.

It was getting my tongue around some of the words: the Russian word for exercise, for example. Sounds like oo-pra-yez-nee-yay, if I remember correctly. :eek:

Stewart said:
It was getting my tongue around some of the words: the Russian word for exercise, for example. Sounds like oo-pra-yez-nee-yay, if I remember correctly. :eek:

:D
oo-praj-neh-neeh-yeh... That's not the most difficult one by far.. Quite easy: uprajnenie. If you are interested - keep trying, and you will surely succeed. I have known many foreigners who spoke Russian quite good. Most of them had Russian wives though...

Back