• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Azar Nafisi: Things I've Been Silent About

abecedarian

After Reading Lolita in Tehran, Things I've been Silent About was something of a letdown. Not a terrible book, just not special. This time Nafisi focuses more on her family life and the troubled relationships between her parents, and Nafisi and her mother.Her father was jailed under the regime of the former Shah, while her mother was a member of Parliament, so she spends a great deal of time discussing political events of the 1980s. She does talk about books and reading though, and I found a passage I liked:
" We discussed the tyranny of bad writers who impose their own voices on their characters, taking away their right to exist. Why is it that in novels with a message, the villains are so reduced that it is as if they come to us with a sign on their forehead saying, "Beware, I am a monster? Doesn't the Koran state that Satan is a seducer, a tempter with an insidious smile?"
:star3:

This is on my wish list Abc, I had high hopes for it, maybe I'll break down and borrow it from the library. :D

I read Reading Lolita in Tehran some years ago and what I enjoyed the most was the literary parts and her talk about the novels and their authors. I'm not very enthusiastic about this one since it focus more on family issues.

I read Reading Lolita in Tehran some years ago and what I enjoyed the most was the literary parts and her talk about the novels and their authors. I'm not very enthusiastic about this one since it focus more on family issues.

As I've remarked elsewhere, I'm glad I borrowed this one from the library;)

Back