• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad non-fiction that you've recently read

SFG75

My contribution to this list would be Swim Against the Current by Jim Hightower. I like the dude's politics and his humor, but this book was just "off" by his usual standards. It was about how communities and certain companies are turnig the business model of *efficiency at all costs* on its head and are providing everything and a healthy bottom line. Boring, dull, and definitely not my cup of tea. How about you? What have you read recently from the non-fiction shelves that you regret?

One of the worst things I've read this year was David Bret's Piaf, which was dire. I wanted to throttle the author, who seemed to spend much of the book attempting to insert himself into the story.

And it was written as a gossipy, sensationalistic piece of pulp trash. Piaf deserves so, so much more.

I'm not real happy with Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders and How They Changed America 1789-1989 by Michael Beschloss.

It's his style -- he meanders and teases too much before getting to the point. I'd rather he start with the point and then go back and describe what happened. Some of the chapters leave me thinking "That was no big deal."

Just had to chuck Freud by Peter Gay. It was one of those books that took a "look at the trees, forget the forest" approach. Every meeting the man had throughout his life was detailed in a painsticking manner. Who said what to who and speculation as to why they said it and what the person who heard it thought. Other than Freud's cocaine use, the book was not interesting at all. I was very disappointed.

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Wierd. I can't believe I read the whole thing. Don't buy this book. Borrow if you're curious. Return after few chapters.

I don't remember reading really bad non-fiction. Majority of them provide some useful information.

Haven't read any non-fiction, bad or good, in the last year but I really intend to one of these days, hope it's good though. momac :)

I read a really bad one a few months ago. It was a really short book on Three Mile Island and Chernobyl and even though it was only a few dozen pages long, they managed to get so much stuff wrong. Oh well.

The Wishing Year: A House, a Man, My Soul A Memoir of Fulfilled Desire by Noelle Oxenhandler. Ugh! I thought the telling of the 'Wishing Year' journey to be disjointed and often tedious. :sad:

The 48 Laws of Power

It was an interesting read but boy does it turn you into a self-centered egotistical snob.

Back