• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad review after Kindle give-away

WriterJohnB

I know authors shouldn't respond to reviews, so I won't, but I'd like to share this review I received on Amazon.com after a recent kindle book giveaway. It's referring to my novel "...and Remember that I Am a Man." - a historical novel about slavery.

Call me when you figure out that this still applies to women. That's nice. The original didn't include men of color. It still doesn't apply to women. The ERA didn't pass. We're legislated at every turn. So frankly, take your sob story and sell it elsewhere.

She gave the book 1 star.

Wow, I tend to be a bit of man-hater myself sometimes, but that's harsh. Since it really doesn't have anything to do with your book, but is just a feminist rant, is there any way to get Amazon to remove it?

I have no idea if Amazon will remove reviews. This is hardly my first bad review, I entered that same novel in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel contest and, after stellar reviews in the first two rounds, was eliminated by a reviewer that basically said I, being a white man, had no right to write about black history.

That was uncalled for. I'd be upset. Because you're a white man you have no right to write about slavery? That's just stupid.

Oh, I clicked the link in your sig but it didn't work. You might want to double check it,

Wow, PMS'y for sure. I went over and voted her review down. It was both unhelpful and inappropriate! Do you know this sock-knitting woman?

I would think anyone reading that review would have to realize that the reviewer seems to have serious issues, and not take it seriously.

When reading reviews on Amazon, or anywhere for that matter, one has to take all the reviews into account. Everyone has a bone to pick, one way or the other. Any savvy reader knows that. Or even anyone with half a grain of sense. :rolleyes:

Wow, that was a really cheap shot...
I know Amazon removes reviews, but don't know under whitch circumstances. However I think this one should apply, as said "review" has nothing to do with the book itself.

Wow, PMS'y for sure. I went over and voted her review down. It was both unhelpful and inappropriate! Do you know this sock-knitting woman?

No, I don't know her or know who she is. It's kind of puzzling why she would put a review up for my book when she's only reviewed books about knitting socks before.

You should take solace in the fact that you have three five star ratings and one four star. I was so intrigued by the reviews, I plunked down the virtual cash and downloaded your book, I guess Baldacci will have to wait a bit longer before I get to him. :buttrock: You know what they say about critics..........failed writers. And failed critics are university writing professors. :lol:

A friend of mine published his book and it was on the amazon top 10/100 under $5.00 list. It was a good mystery/thriller and one reviewer nailed him for the book's "gratuitous violence" and "meaningless bloodletting." He is a great deacon in his church and one upstanding guy. We still laugh to this day about that one "bad" review.

Actually, it's turning out to be a plus. People are slamming her for that review and my website is getting more hits than ever. I haven't checked sales yet, but I'll let you all know.

I'm up to chapter 16 right now. I would have to say that I appreciate the descriptiveness of the environment, as well as the dialogue between characters. A lot of authors that I've purchased books from on forums like this, haven't taken the time to truly tell a story. It's like there's a fear of length or something. I always joked to myself that four clicks on my kindle sidebar would take me to most self-pubbers 50% mark in the book. Thank you for taking some time and laying out a great story in more than a few kindle clicks! The part where the runaway slave is caught by the hunters on the Quaker farm really grips you, quite the scene there. I would say that you have definitely done your homework in regards to the "peculiar institution." On to more reading tonight. This book is definitely worth every penny and then some.

Thank you, it means a lot to me. I came across that slave's story years ago while researching for a novel set in the Great Dismal Swamp. I work for a local school system and it irked me that kids in the area didn't know his story. I set out to write a YA book but got carried away and wrote a serious novel. It took me six years to research.

And I trust you a whole lot more now that I've seen your picture on your profile page.

Take care,

JohnB

Back