• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Baidu

Not sure why. Baidu.com is the Chinese equivalent of Google. It's massive.

And why the Chinese will win in the end ...

“ Many people have asked about the meaning of our name. 'Baidu' was inspired by a poem written more than 800 years ago during the Song Dynasty. The poem compares the search for a retreating beauty amid chaotic glamour with the search for one's dream while confronted by life's many obstacles. '...hundreds and thousands of times, for her I searched in chaos, suddenly, I turned by chance, to where the lights were waning, and there she stood.' Baidu, whose literal meaning is hundreds of times, represents persistent search for the ideal. ”

—Robin Li

From Meadow:
"Not sure why."​
To: Meadow:
Well:
1. It is the first time I have heard of them. (Call me ignorant, if you will.)
2. Four pages of "guest" queries here in only 14 minutes recently, compared to one query each by the Google and Bing crawlers in the same time period was startling for me to see. (Not startling for others, perhaps.)
3. Last time I looked, some years back, they were not among our guests. That's quite a change to see. (I never realized how completely I have come to be posting here for the benefit of the people in Beijing.). . .
4. . . . with no provision that I have seen to opt out, or restrict readership to registered members under our new setup. (Writer's Corner at least used to be restricted to viewing by logged-on members; now we are completely open.)
5. Even Facebook has greater privacy protection, it seems to me. (Gasp!)
6. That's why. (Strictly a personal reaction.)

So I thought I would comment.
Thanks for asking.
Peder

From Meadow:
"Not sure why."​
To: Meadow:
Well:
1. It is the first time I have heard of them. (Call me ignorant, if you will.)
2. Four pages of "guest" queries here in only 14 minutes recently, compared to one query each by the Google and Bing crawlers in the same time period was startling for me to see. (Not startling for others, perhaps.)
3. Last time I looked, some years back, they were not among our guests. That's quite a change to see. (I never realized how completely I have come to be posting here for the benefit of the people in Beijing.). . .
4. . . . with no provision that I have seen to opt out, or restrict readership to registered members under our new setup. (Writer's Corner at least used to be restricted to viewing by logged-on members; now we are completely open.)
5. Even Facebook has greater privacy protection, it seems to me. (Gasp!)
6. That's why. (Strictly a personal reaction.)

So I thought I would comment.
Thanks for asking.
Peder

Good Lord that is an extreme reaction LOL FB has NO privacy merely the illusion of it.

What part of what I posted, Meadow, is "extreme" in your view. Are we speaking the same language?

well click on the little bit where it says 'click to expand' in the quoted text and you will see I highlighted the relevant bit about FB having more privacy than well just about anything.

PS as an aside - I'm not liking these minimised quote boxes.

PPS I have FB issues.

Sorry I missed your highlight deep in the mists.
We'll differ on Facebook, even though I am no fan (and the purpose here wasn't to discuss Facebook) But I think my comment stands anyway, and is not extreme (as you misrepresent it).

Back