• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barbara Pym

GERBAM

BARBARA PYM

Not necessarily a name that is easily recognizable ... but a writer of seemingly simple books that creep up on readers as they become more and more submerged in her plot and prose.

I've read quite a few of her books and I wonder if anyone else has had the pleasure. I just picked up SOME TAME GAZELLE. But anyone of her books is a treat.

I have read several of her books, and all with pleasure. There was one about single women of a certain age which was sweet, but rather sad. Sorry, but I forget the title. While reading, one thinks "how civilized, how estimable" but then, when the book is done, one realizes that these women were deprived of lives with any possibility of chance or variety.

Another one - Autumn Sonata or Autumn Quartette ? - was about workers in an office who are getting on. One retires. It's over. This is a book which probably can only be appreciated by someone over 60.

Pym

HI SILVERSEASON

i just finished my 5th Pym ... I read her years ago and forgot how delightful her books are. women who are alone or unhappy or seeking something but in the end realize that they do have FREE LIVES.

she's also very witty, don't you think?

GERBA,

Back