• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barefoot

third man girl

Ashlea’s words have prompted me to try and write through one of my female characters’ minds. (This is ‘pre-Bryan’, so don’t blame him for anything!)

The emotions have not been ‘tidied’ as Bryan would have been done; this is straight from ‘the girl’s head’ (written on a scrap of paper, hurriedly, this morning).

I would appreciate critical comparison of my tidied poetry versus the raw.

BTW, the girl is not a poet; I don’t even know if ‘Barefoot’ would be considered a poem. I haven’t studied poetry, don’t even know the definition of the word. Two minutes . . . AH!

“Quick definition: POEM (noun) a composition written in metrical feet forming rhythmical lines.”

Well, there you go. I should have listened in school instead of staring out of the window.

The poem is not pretty, which is why I rated it ‘15’. Piedro, cover your eyes, now. ;)

Barefoot, soundless across the floor
The carpet soft; disturb them not.
The window square, too small
Head, shoulders – push.
Falling, thump.
Listen, wait.
The nightshirt torn –
they will be cross.
Barefoot, cracking over twigs
Which way to run?
Forward? Darkness through the woods,
But darkness, too, from where I’ve come.
Barefoot, bare thighs, pricking, scratching.
The groaning trees; the groaning men.
Run, run . . .
Barefoot. Mud, milking through my toes
The river hissing, calling, boiling –
‘A Serpent’ – warned one.
Barefoot, sliding down the banking
Nightshirt lifting, please, no more –
they’ve had their fun.
Ohh! Icy waters, he was right
The Serpent sucks and coils.
Ice fright; my need to drown.
The nightshirt tugged by seething hands
Naked, thrashing.
Come, please come.
Voices call above the hiss,
The hard men reach me now. Rejoice!
Pulling me from wild, wet waters
Wrapped within their arms.
Strength and comfort all around me.
Punishment, yet to come.

Third Man Girl

third man girl said:
The poem is not pretty, which is why I rated it ‘15’. Piedro, cover your eyes, now. ;)
Third Man Girl

i am 18 :mad: :cool:

as for the poem, i cant see any difference from your others in the expression of emotions. but as you said yourself they havent been tidied

That one is great! Best yet!

When I write poetry, or fiction. I just let it flow. I edit once the work is done but I try not to edit TOO much because I feel it becomes too polished and lose something. I'll go though a poem or story once or twice and then I will leave it alone. Sometimes not even that much.

REALLY, you need to write a story... and post it here!! YOU!!!!

Thanks for posting, hope to see more!

Regards
SillyWabbit

PS: Ashlea, if you are reading, I am eating some lovely Marmite as I type this!!! YUUUUMY lol

piedro said:

I know you are. That's why you can be :mad: and :cool: in the same breath. ;)

Sorry. As I wrote the sentence "The poem is not pretty, which is why I rated it '15' " I had you in mind. Nothing to do with your age - but because you'd previously shown concern about unhappy poems.

To be honest, the '15' & '18' buttons are a problem. Morals confuse me.

Third Man Girl

SillyWabbit said:
REALLY, you need to write a story... and post it here!!

I only have one story and, although I'm writing it in segments, it would have to be read as a whole. Or, at least, I would prefer it to be.

Thanks for the kind words though.

I might try to keep the poems going. Passes the time at work.

Third Man Girl

I would say that the raw edges of this poem suits the subject, so I wouldn't be tempted to clean it up too much.

I think that's a bad definition of a poem, btw. I've read lots of poems that don't fit that. Haiku for instance.

I confess I skimmed the poetry in Possession. Long poetry doesn't suit me. I like poems of up to about 30 lines or so, after that my attention starts to waiver unless it's really gripping. I like Edna St. Vincent Millay, both Brownings, Keats (his shorter works.)

third man girl said:
Ashlea’s words have prompted me to try and write through one of my female characters’ minds. (This is ‘pre-Bryan’, so don’t blame him for anything!)

The emotions have not been ‘tidied’ as Bryan would have been done; this is straight from ‘the girl’s head’ (written on a scrap of paper, hurriedly, this morning).

I would appreciate critical comparison of my tidied poetry versus the raw.

BTW, the girl is not a poet; I don’t even know if ‘Barefoot’ would be considered a poem. I haven’t studied poetry, don’t even know the definition of the word. Two minutes . . . AH!

“Quick definition: POEM (noun) a composition written in metrical feet forming rhythmical lines.”

Well, there you go. I should have listened in school instead of staring out of the window.

Third Man Girl

The poetry form that you are writing in is called "Free form" there are many styles of poetry. I can't remember them all so had to google!

http://www.shadowpoetry.com/resources/wip/types.html

Hope that helps :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

You just don't cease to amaze me/us, do you.

You're a wonderful and mysterious woman, TMG!

Cheers, Martin :D

Back