• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bargains

Oddly enough, two of my favorite memories of book finds concern Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. When I was a horse-crazy little girl, I found the entire series in paperback in the thrift shop for about 25 cents apiece. I read them to pieces, literally. A few years ago, I came across a box of the same books, hardcovers with beautiful dust jackets, for $1. Some of them are probably worth a little money, but I don't want to sell them. I hate the cover art for so many reissues of old children's books - the publishers always seem to mess it up, from the cutesy pastel cartoon figures of Noel Streatfield's shoe books to the over-stylized purple-shaded tones of the Black Stallion series - so I love to have the old books.

Yesterday in a charity shop, I came across the box set collection of Paulo Coelho. I had to have it. 6 euro it cost me.:)

Then I also got Vanishing Act by Piccoult, Birdsong by Faulkner and Deception Point by Brown for a fiver.

I was going to bemoan the fact that Ireland doesn't seem to have the same second hand/charity shop culture that the uk enjoys but........you're irish

fess up where is the shop(s)!

A Farewell to Arms - a quarter

Its the damndest thing. I was planning on buying it for full price. Then I casually walk into a thrift and there it was. SCORE!!!!!:D :D

Our local Friends of the Library group has several sales each year that are made up of donated books, sold first to members, then to the public at large. We buy lots of books at these events. They put big signs out two weeks in advance, then new signs on the sale day. Seems to work really well, the sales are thick with shoppers.

Back