• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bargains

Best bargain I've found was in a bookstore I frequent that is only open on weekends. I happened to wander in and find (through sheer luck) a 6 volume set of Casanova's memoirs in hardcover, in fairly good condition. Only 40 bucks canadian. The guy at the cash was surprised at the low price, and asked me if I knew about the set before I came in (I did not).

My library always has book sales and they usually sell hardcovers anywhere from fifty cents to one dollar. Paperbacks are anywhere from ten cents to twentyfive cents.

there's this great second hand bookshop where we live
i got an amazing book on pirates (hardback) it was less than half price
i also got the Assassin’s apprentice in hard back for (i think that would be the Equivalent of 2 dollars )
and we get 10% discount because we don't return them(some do why would anybody give agood book back?) :confused:

Recently picked up The Alchemist for just 30 pence in really great condition from a boot fare! :) I also got Monster Dogs from a Charity shop for £1! Jigs and Reels was brought for me so that was the ultimate bargain :D

Yard sales and library sales are my main sources of books. So far this year I've picked up these:

Used: Harlow, An Intimate Biography, Yowl-Selected Poems about Cats, 13 French Science Fiction Stories, Murder at the ABA(Asimov), Eyes of the Dragon(S.King), Historic Haunted America, Frenzy(A. LaBean), and Fine Frights--all for .25 each.
How to Know and Enjoy New York(1950-51) and Kids Say the Darndest Things(1957), for .35 each.

New:Me (Katherine Hepburn) $1.00, Yosemite (Ansel Adams) .50, A Zoo in My Luggage(G.Durrell) $1.50, Preserving Memory-The Struggle to Create the American Holocaust Museum $2.00.

Also on the side of the road with garbage-four volumes of a hardcover set of "The Works of Edgar Allen Poe", copyright 1914-in great condition! Now thats a bargain!

Happy hunting!! :D :D

lorrekarloff said:
Also on the side of the road with garbage-four volumes of a hardcover set of "The Works of Edgar Allen Poe", copyright 1914-in great condition! Now thats a bargain!

H

:eek: That IS a bargain! I just picked up "The Sherlock Holmes Treasury Original from Strand Magazine" for a euro. Was quite pleased with that one! :)

About 10 John Grisham books, Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion, some others for free...my old apartment complex had a library and they didn't care if you didn't return books.

I went down to my lovely library yesterday evening to pick up some 'treats' :D. After checking out 5 new books from my far-too-long TBR list I turned around and, as usual, looked at the library sale books. Well, instead of the usual 1986 Guiness Book of records, a world almanac and a badly thumped RVers World, they had GOOD BOOKS*!!

For $10, I got 4 recipe books and 2 books from my TBR list: Lian Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor, and Martin Amis' Night Train. I could have also got a copy of A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing for $2, but I'd just borrowed it, and I am really trying not to buy books as they will all need to be left behind when I leave in 6 months time :( . So I figured it was better to leave that treasure where it was to amuse and delight someone else expecting to find only a 1982 copy of 'Let's Go East Berlin'.

*In addition to the afor mentioned tomes.

There is a public library about an hour from where I live that has a n annual book sale. Their price? $.25 an inch. You select the books, they stack them up against a ruler and you are charged by the height of your stack! Needless to say, it is quite popular.

cajunmama said:
There is a public library about an hour from where I live that has a n annual book sale. Their price? $.25 an inch. You select the books, they stack them up against a ruler and you are charged by the height of your stack! Needless to say, it is quite popular.
That's awesome!!!

cajunmama said:

We get those too, but the pricing system isn't as unique as the one you get.

I love bargains! love loooking in second hand shops i get a lot of books there and also car boot sales :D

«FickleMinded» said:
--I bought my The Brethren by John Grisham for only $0.25 from a garage sale :D

Keep hearing of all these great buys from Garage sales etc...

Why don't we in the UK have Garage sales or Yard sales ?
We have to drag it all to a Car-Boot and most times pay around 10 GBP for place to set it up.
Makes much more sense to sell from our own Garage or Garden etc.
Well we don't where I live! :(

Sorry, To get back on topic...
I bought nearly mint copy of 'The Stand' Stephen King today for 75p :D
ALL 1,421 Pages :eek:

Erica said:
Keep hearing of all these great buys from Garage sales etc...

Why don't we in the UK have Garage sales or Yard sales ?
We have to drag it all to a Car-Boot and most times pay around 10 GBP for place to set it up.
Makes much more sense to sell from our own Garage or Garden etc.
Well we don't where I live! :(

Sorry, To get back on topic...
I bought nearly mint copy of 'The Stand' Stephen King today for 75p :D
ALL 1,421 Pages :eek:
Lucky you getting the stand for 75p i paid £8 in liverpool city centre,but its one of my favorite books!

ruby said:
Lucky you getting the stand for 75p i paid £8 in liverpool city centre,but its one of my favorite books!

:D Yes was well pleased, very good condition for 2nd hand to.
Only Started reading it today, but think I'm going to really enjoy it.
Heard its in the All time top 100 Books.

I spotted a recent book sale in the local papers for today. It was organised by a 'friends of the library' group at a senior centre. We walked into a good sized room which was absolutely chocablock full of scrummy books. Came home with 7 books (alas it was just a quick whizz around) all in very good condition and it cost a whopping $3.25. Mmm seventh heaven :)

phil_t said:
Oh no no, it is very real!! :) Literally every second shop is a bookshop, it is a wonderful place! :D I often wondered whether there was some cohesive plan to have all these second-hand bookshops there, or if they suddenly just sprung up over night.Phil

There's actually a nonfiction book about this town, "Sixpence House" by Paul Collins, a memoir that includes the history of the bookstore thing.

Back