• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bart Drake: A Liberal Helping of Fail

KarlaH

One of my conservative friends gave me a copy of this for my birthday, I think trying to get under my skin. I read it, and I think it actually might be a satire of right-wing political books. But I'm not sure. The arguments he makes are kind of out there but he seems to take them seriously. Just wondering if anybody else here has read it and if it should be taken at face value or as a lark...

Well, for one thing he blames liberals for America's obesity problem by connecting it to anti-smoking efforts, since cigarettes are an appetite suppressant. And he complains about how handicapped parking spaces led to the problems New Orleans residents had with Hurricane Katrina because they fostered the idea that government would solve everybody's problems.

It was laughable, really. I just couldn't tell if it was supposed to be funny.

Never heard of the author. I do enjoy reading the National Review for a conservative perspective, even one that at times is snarky. Anne Coulter, Limbaugh, and some others are just plain brass tacks about their positions and that is a huge turn off. I miss the old conservatism of Buckley and even Dinesh D'Souza. They were folks who could make a point and a forceful one at that, without the hatred.

One of my conservative friends gave me a copy of this for my birthday, I think trying to get under my skin. I read it, and I think it actually might be a satire of right-wing political books. But I'm not sure. The arguments he makes are kind of out there but he seems to take them seriously. Just wondering if anybody else here has read it and if it should be taken at face value or as a lark...
Never heard of the book. But, on the other hand, I can just read the papers and see all of Washington politics as parody.

Back