• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Baseball fans?

leckert

Well, I've been a fan of the National League since I was ten, when I sat in the outfield bleachers behind Caesar Geronimo (Cincinnati Reds, circa 1977) and watched the Big Red Machine play.

I am not a Houston fan, but I am disappointed that the AL won the series.

Any NL fans?

Anyone remember the Big Red Machine?

Can anyone name the 1975/6 starting lineup for the Reds?

P - Don Gullet, Tom Hume
C - Johnny Bench
1b - Tony Perez
2b - Joe Morgan
SS - Dave Concepcion
3b - Pete Rose, Ray Knight
OF - George Foster, Ken Griffey, Caesar Geronimo (sp?)

Does anyone care?

those were the days!

Maybe my Washington Nationals will do something next year?

Huge baseball and National League fan here. Still a bit in shock that the NL hasn't won a Series game in two years. But hopeful for 2006. Why?

2004 Red Sox win the Series for the first time since 1918
2005 White Sox win the Series for the first time since 1917
Who does that leave?
2006 Cubs FINALLY win the Series for the first time since 1908 and I can die a happy man.

Do not burst the bubble. I get to dream until April.
aus.i1.yimg.com_us.yimg.com_i_us_sp_v_mlb_teams_1_50x50c_chn.gif

Lifelong Mets fan here. Total NL girl. I hate interleague play. Love the Phils, too. They're gritty. My grandfather played for the Reds. Yes, it's true. He was drafted out of law school. Things were somewhat different then.

I think this is yet another opportunity to say I HATE THE YANKEES.

leckert said:
Any NL fans?

I'm a die hard Red Sox fan, but I do like the Atlanta Braves. I'll root for them in the post season, or watch the games if the Red Sox aren't on. I was very satisfied with the White Sox win for a couple of reasons. 1) Roger Clemens. I'm always happy to see him lose. 2) They deserved it. It's been a long time since the WS had a series win. If it couldn't be the Red Sox, I'm glad it was the WS.

I root for any team that is playing the Yankees. Needless to say, I have a special fondness right now for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (phew, what a name);)

I'll take a stab at the Reds line-up
*OF-Lou Brock
*C-Johnny Bench
*2nd-Pete Rose
Any of 'em right?:confused: :confused:

I don't get too excited about baseball. Been to an Astros game back in '84. Saw a pre-season exhibition game between the Twins and Blue Jays at Mile High Stadium in the early 90s. I also have an autographed baseball by the 1961 Yankees. Right now it could buy me a house, I'm hoping it will help out on my retirement. :cool:

Another Skankee hater here!

Unfortunately, mehastings, you have to watch fast to see the Braves in the playoffs! They haven't gone very far past September lately!

You were pretty close, there, SF. Lou Brock played for the Cardinals, and Pete Rose played third.

The Phillies are definitely gritty. I think our Nationals and the Phillies will be a pretty good rivalry, with their relative geographical nearness. We get a lot of their fans here for the games, and vice-versa.

Come on, April!

leckert said:
Another Skankee hater here!

Unfortunately, mehastings, you have to watch fast to see the Braves in the playoffs! They haven't gone very far past September lately!

You were pretty close, there, SF. Lou Brock played for the Cardinals, and Pete Rose played third.

The Phillies are definitely gritty. I think our Nationals and the Phillies will be a pretty good rivalry, with their relative geographical nearness. We get a lot of their fans here for the games, and vice-versa.

Come on, April!

Yeah-I have a Lou Brock Topps baseball card from 1986. I remember that it has a "bottoms-up" pic and that he had on a red cap-couldn't quite remember the team. Other than Ricky Henderson, perhaps the best base stealer to ever play the game.

leckert said:

Yes, I remember them being quite good back in the late 80's-early 90's when their pitching was unbeatable. Since then it's all been downhill...

it's nice to see the old expos get a permanent home instead of being the stepchild of the MLB. I think Washington is a good location for a national league team. Now that the American league has decided to play small ball wouldn't it be great to see some national league team come up with another "Big Red Machine".

How do you all feel about Pete Rose and the Hall of Fame? Personally, I think he is getting just what he deserves. At least he has been quiet since his buddy Mike Schmidt told him to sit down and shutup. Has anyone read his book "My Prison without Bars"? I found it refreshing for him to finally own up to much of what he previously denied. If only he would have done this in the first place, he would have what he so much desires.

Here's a few that haven't been mentioned:

1B- Tony Perez
2B- Joe Morgan
SS- Davey Concepcion
LF- George Foster
CF- Cesar Geronimo
RF- Ken Griffey Sr.
SP- Don Gullett

SFG75 said:
I can't remember an Expos player that was worth a darn. :confused: :confused:
Pedro Martinez, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Rusty Staub, Vlad Guerrero...

The problem was, they couldn't afford to keep any of them.

OK, who led the 1975 Reds in Home Runs and how many did he hit.

Now this is a team, the 60 Pirates:

C - Smoky Burgess
1b - Dick Stuart
2b - Bill Mazerowski.....ole no hands
3b - Don Hoak
SS - Dick Groat
LF - Bob Skinner
CF - Bill Virdon
RF - Roberto Clemente

I used to enjoy infield practice as much as the actual game because of Bill Mazerowski. He was one of the greats. Roberto Clemente, what can I say. He could do it all.

curiouswonder said:
Huge baseball and National League fan here. Still a bit in shock that the NL hasn't won a Series game in two years. But hopeful for 2006. Why?

2004 Red Sox win the Series for the first time since 1918
2005 White Sox win the Series for the first time since 1917
Who does that leave?
2006 Cubs FINALLY win the Series for the first time since 1908 and I can die a happy man.

Do not burst the bubble. I get to dream until April.
aus.i1.yimg.com_us.yimg.com_i_us_sp_v_mlb_teams_1_50x50c_chn.gif

AMEN to you my Brother!
Cubs fan here....looking for a 2006 Trophy!

GO CUBBIES!!!!!

muggle said:
2b - Bill Mazerowski.....ole no hands

Maz has provided me with one of my most favorite World Series moments.
I love it anytime the Yankees are bashed in the 7th game of a WS:D

He was even part of the 1971 WS...(we are family and Wille Stargell and all that) wasn't he?

Aged said:
Maz has provided me with one of my most favorite World Series moments.
I love it anytime the Yankees are bashed in the 7th game of a WS:D

He was even part of the 1971 WS...(we are family and Wille Stargell and all that) wasn't he?
Maz was a part-timer in 1971 and had 193 AB. His last year as a starter was 1970. He and Gene Alley were probabvly the best double-play combination ever. The 1971 line-up for the WS Champion Pirates:

C - Manny Sanguillen
1b - Bob Robertson
2b - Dave Cash
3b - Richie Hebner
SS - Gene Alley
OF - Willie Stargell
OF - Al Oliver
OF - Roberto Clemente

P - Steve Blass
P - Dock Ellis
P - Larry Walker
P - Bob Moose

Yeah, I agree it has been a long time for the Cub Fans. However, being a Pirate fan is no piece of cake either knowing that it would be next to impossible for them to again win the Championship under today's situation. The small market teams don't stand a chance nowadays.:(

Two minor league teams within driving distance, otherwise it's eight hours to K.C. As if I want to see them play!.:rolleyes:

Back