• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Battle Royale (manga)

Libra6Poe

Hey there, this is a manga by Koushun Takami & Masayuki Taguchi (Illustrator). I haven't read it, but it was recommended by Playboy (May 2005 issue).
...graphic novel, which follows a class of students sent to a deserted island and forced to fight one another to the death. (What novel way to curb school violence!) -Playboy

Just sounded interesting. Wondering if any of you have read it or heard anything about it... don't know if I should invest my time or money into it just yet. ;)

Here's a better description:

INTRODUCTION

In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues. Amid the betrayals and rising body count, two classmates confess their love for each other and swear to survive this deadly game together.

Based on the live-action feature film that became a cause celebre and polarized much of Japan.
-Tokyopop

I've seen it at Waterstones, but I'm not really big on manga. I do own the movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, I'm not that into manga either, but it sounded really interesting.

That's so cool that you own the movie! It's not available in the US right now... I'd much rather see the movie instead. I looked it up on imdb.com and it sounds pretty brutal. When you watch it, let me know what you think. ;)

I will. It's been lying on my shelf for months now and I still haven't gotten around to it. Problem is I'm a bit scared of it looking so brutal. I'm a laaaaaaady, you know?

I've read up to volume 5 or 6, my friend lends me them when she buys them since I we're collecting different series' each. I've seen both the movies and currently thinking about ordering the novel at my local Ottakars (seen it there before but didn't have enough money at the time). Its a good series, but the artwork differs a lot from most other manga that I've read. :)

Oh awesome! Thank you.

My friend and I used to do the same thing with anime. There's this comic book shop that rents out anime and my best friend would choose an anime and pay to rent the entire series, and then I'd do the same thing with another series.

I've read the original novel and own the 1st movie on dvd. They're both great. I haven't seen the 2nd film as it got some pretty bad reviews(the director of the 1st one died during the making of the 2nd one and his son took over). Go-go from Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is in the 1st movie. It is very violent, and it is kind of unnerving to see a roomful of schoolgirls machine gunning each other, but a lot of the blood effects are of the CGI variety and it gives the gore a painted on look. The film has one of the best scores I've heard recently, too. I would definitely hunt down an copy of the film to check out.

lenny nero said:
I haven't seen the 2nd film
I don't know where you live, but apparently MTV is showing that soon, so if you want to see it without having to pay for it...

umm.. Okay, so first there was the book by Koushun Takami, then came the movies (two films?), and then the manga... Hmm... was the book any good? It may be easier to just buy the one book instead of having to collect the manga.

lenny nero said:
I would definitely hunt down an copy of the film to check out.
I know! It sounds really good and I do want to check it out.

lies said:
apparently MTV is showing that soon
:( <sigh> MTV in the US sucks so bad. It's nothing but reality shows and pranks. I really want to see these films. They sound really good.

oops, sorry Lenny, I just saw that you said both were great. Hehe...

Libra6Poe said:
:( <sigh> MTV in the US sucks so bad. It's nothing but reality shows and pranks. I really want to see these films. They sound really good.
It's much the same here... Only now they plan on showing an Asian movie every Friday night at 22:00 (reruns at 00:00 on Saturday) for a couple of months. I guess I'll be watching, because I haven't seen many Asian movies and I'd like to do something about it.

Wow, that's wonderful! I wish they'd do something like that in the US. But unfortunately, we have the FCC and many groups like "the Parents Television Council" and just about everything is censored. :mad: The media is pretty conservative.

I also don't have a lot of experience with Asian films. I've seen Ringu and Hero.. hmm... can't think of anything else. :(

I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and that's about it, I think. No, wait, I think I saw "Raise the Red Lantern" back in the day too...

oops, sorry Lenny, I just saw that you said both were great. Hehe...
I've only seen the 1st one. The second one got horrible reviews so I haven't tried to hunt that one down.

Pokerindustries.com has a Region free/NTSC Korean dvd, with English subs, that will play on your dvd player here in the States, see here.
Also check out hkflix.com. I've ordered from both of these and they have great service.

Back