• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BBC's The Big Read - Top 100

Freya said:
Ooo and Little Women - I don't care if you think I'm sad, I LIKE THAT BOOK!
For me, this book is a little bit too old-fashioned. The dialogues sounded not very probably. I mean, that people don't talk to each other like that.
I liked the films which I saw (the one with Elisabeth Taylor and the one with Winona Ryder) better.

Hmmmf people do talk to each other like that. All the time. In my world anyway, where life is one long Little Women episode.

People don't talk like that? Why, my head is in quite a muddle, and I'm going to freshen my wits with a quick turn. It's a dull day out, but the air isn't bad so I'm sure to be gay in a while.

(With sincere apologies to Ms Alcott's estate)

Do you know how many times I've read The Very Hungry Caterpillar??? I think I am evenly split between the top 100 and the next 100. And just because a book is a children's book, doesn't mean it isn't good or a favorite.

I've only read 18. It doesn't seem very good to me!

Interesting to see the list up to 200. I don't remember seeing that before. :)

I've read 29, and got about 15 of the rest on TBR list. I'm surprised by some of them which I never expected would be there, like 'Perfume' for example (which by the way I think is a great book, but didn't know it was that popular).

23 (eek! *embarassed*) but i've heard of most and i'm planning on reading(or am currently reading) quite a few. besides, i'm only 14.

lilbiteb said:
I've only read 18. It doesn't seem very good to me!

:)
Why? Those are other people's choices; you make your own. It's just a list like thousands of other lists in blogs, websites and internet bookshops.

I have read 27 of the top 100 books. It surprised me how many of these were books by Charles Dickens or books that I had read when I was young. I have 21 on my TBR list. This list seems to increase daily especially since I joined the Book Forum. :)

I've read 37 of the 100, but of the remaining 63 (I think), there are over 20 I would not read because they are written by authors I'm not a fan of, such as JK Rowling and Terry Pratchett, and maybe 5 or 6 of the rest are on my TBR.

I don't know why I resurrected this thread really. :rolleyes:

I've read 19 in the top 100, with at least 20 either in my tbr pile or on my candidates list. Some are slated to be read very soon, like 100 Years of Solitude..

Steffee I think its nice that you have brought this thread back. I hadn't seen it, so am interested.

Of the 100, I've read 23, have 14 in my TBR stack, am ambivalent about 35, and not interested in reading 28 of them.

What really amazes me is the authors not even represented in the list. Our fella, Nabokov for one. But authors such as Jules Verne, H.G. Wells?? :confused: :eek: Even such as Edward Rutherfurd and Mary Stewart......

But included is Mario Puzo??

Just surprised.

Yeah, Pontalba, I'm surprised that a few authors didn't make it. And 4 Harry Potters did :eek:

It was Brits who voted though, I think. I hadn't even heard of Nabokov until last year, so maybe there's an explanation. Also, there are a lot of children's titles that made the list.

Imagine if it had been done later, 4 spaces would be taken up by Dan Brown ;)

I've read 8 of the books, have 7 waiting to be read on a shelf and 20 I want to buy and read too.

I think that Harry Potter should not be taking up four spaces. Both The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman only take up one space, so why should it get 4 spaces?

Anyone else feel like making their own top 100 after seeing that list? :rolleyes:

EDIT I just looked at 101-200. Lolita made it's way in at 178. ;) Plus one Atwood book made it into that list.

Out of the 101-200 I've read 4, have 2 sitting on my shelves and want to buy another 14.

Back