• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Being SCARED by a movie

Fenster

Being the horror enthusiast that I am, it isn't very often that I watch a horror movie that actually scares me. After a while, you just get conditioned to all of the little tricks, the rattles, the spooks that the filmmakers use to scare you - even if you don't want to, since being immune to the scares kinda takes the fun out of it. Take John Carpenter's Halloween, I love it, it's a great movie, and I can see how it was scary when it first came out. But it doesn't frighten me in the least.

Then today, I watched a movie that I didn't think would scare me, but it did. I was jumping to the ceiling.

What was it?

It was, of all things, The Grudge, with Sarah Michelle Gellar. This one SCARED me. By the time it was wrapping up, my nerves were just shot.

Needless to say, I was not expecting this. I don't even know why I put the movie on my Netflix queue. I heard it wasn't that great, especially when compared to the original Japanese version. Who knows?

It was a pleasant surprise, if an unpleasant experience. Every once in a great while a movie genuinely scares me. A few other examples are A Nightmare on Elm Street, Arachnophobia and Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.

A silly as this is... Pet Sematary scared me! When Pascow came into the bedroom to get Louis in the middle of the night- horrifying! I couldn't look out my bedroom door for weeks.

I haven't seen The Grudge, but the others listed so far didn't scare me much.

However, The Ring, just the first one (as I refused to watch #2) gave me nightmares for two weeks afterwards! Oh, I was jumping to the ceiling, too! Just gave me the creeps.

Watching any version of "The Grudge" for the first time is liable to be pretty scary. Most sadistic sound effects ever. (And I actually thought the American version held up pretty well, at least in comparison to most US remakes.) It's a pity the story really falls apart if you think about it too much... or if you, say, remake the movie seven times.

I think the last horror movie I saw which was actually honest-to-goodness scary was "The Descent". "Dark Water" really unsettled me too (the original - not the crap remake). Both, IMO, manage to be about more than shock - there's a very obvious underlying metaphor in both movies, something most people can relate to, and that makes it a lot more disturbing than any number of serial killers in hockey masks.

(Oh, and I agree: "In The Mouth Of Madness" is one hell of a movie.)

Mattyj said:
A silly as this is... Pet Sematary scared me! When Pascow came into the bedroom to get Louis in the middle of the night- horrifying! I couldn't look out my bedroom door for weeks.
Other parts of that movie scared me. I always liked Pascow though. Sometimes I'd fast-forward to scenes he was in just to see him.

I'm weak. I can't bear to watch horrific things. I always end up pulling a blanket over my head. You are all brave.

Exrocism of Emily Rose .. that was scary..

some scenes in the grudge were scary .. guess they got a good cameraman ;p

lady.cordelia said:
However, The Ring, just the first one (as I refused to watch #2) gave me nightmares for two weeks afterwards! Oh, I was jumping to the ceiling, too! Just gave me the creeps.

That movie creeped me out, too. I watched it alone, which I regretted. Luckily it was evening, and I could expect my roommate home later, and my girlfriend to visit. If I had watched it late at night alone, I would have died, I'm sure.

nomadic myth said:
That movie creeped me out, too. I watched it alone, which I regretted. Luckily it was evening, and I could expect my roommate home later, and my girlfriend to visit. If I had watched it late at night alone, I would have died, I'm sure.

glad i'm not alone on that one. i was sure no one else was going to say that one and i felt so dumb for being so scared of it. i couldn't even watch the commercials for #2 without getting the creeps again just seeing that girl! ugh!

Jaws. Of course now it's nothing to watch, except a great movie. BUT... when I was 8 years old or so and saw it in the theater, I think I had my hands over my eyes from the first note of that music.

Another more recent one, although many people hated this film was The Blair Witch Project. The ceaseless and endles wandering and the knowing that night was comming and so was IT, really creeped me out. That movie still gives me the creeps. Love it

Dogmatix said:
Jaws.
Another more recent one, although many people hated this film was The Blair Witch Project. The ceaseless and endles wandering and the knowing that night was comming and so was IT, really creeped me out. That movie still gives me the creeps. Love it
The Blair Witch Project was a very good movie. I am very familiar with the location of the "shooting" of the movie.

Dogmatix, guess where they went to school. ;)

muggle said:
The Blair Witch Project was a very good movie. I am very familiar with the location of the "shooting" of the movie.

Dogmatix mkb., guess where they went to school. ;)

Where? UMASS? Tell me tell me.... And where was it shot?

BTW I went to Bridgewater State, followed by Tufts University.

The Exorcist. A tired response, I guess, but the flickering images of Pazuzu were unexpected and creeped me out. I also agree that The Ring was also scary. Those were the only two movies that prevented me from getting any sleep.

Dogmatix said:
Where? UMASS? Tell me tell me.... And where was it shot?

BTW I went to Bridgewater State, followed by Tufts University.
Darn, you sure have a short memory. ;) :p

Chairman, Board of Directors....XXXXXXXXXX College Foundation

I know you have heard of Burkittsville, MD

http://www.blairwitch.com/

The Ring didn't really scare me except in a couple parts, but The Grudge scared me--especially in that scene where the thing gets the girl in her bed. I was also frightened by parts of The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Older horror movies fail to scare me because I don't think they look real enough...with the sole exception of The Exorcist, it seems, because the concept was so terrifying.

Oddly enough, the only movie that has ever given me a nightmare is Jurassic Park. I've seen much scarier things, but I constantly have dreams where I'm in the park and the dinosaurs are killing people and no one believes me. You'd think I'd be having visits from Lucifer in my dreams with all the scary stuff I've watched, but it's the dinosaurs that get me.

The Shining---scared the crap out of me...still gives me the creepy-crawlies. I don't mind a good horror story, but I hate slasher flicks. I think a good psychological thriller is scarier...

Yes, for some time now I've been meaning to write an essay about whether or not slasher flicks should really be considered horror films.

The ring kept me from s;eeping soundly for several weeks. It was not so much the movie itself that was scary, it just got my imagination flowing in a different direction than what it is used to.

I watched several movies when I was really young ( around seven) that had an effect on me: Nightmare on Elmstreet, The Excorsist and The Omen.

I am now a scary movie freak...I can't wait until the new release of Wicker Man comes out.

Jeepers Creepers was on the other night and that did it for me. AN oldie was "Fall of the House of Usher", premature burial ...argh

Back