• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Benjamin Black

Since I am a (self-professed, now) Banville-addict, I recently copped the crime novel Christine Falls written by Banville in his nom de plume Benjamin Black. Apparently the style is alarmingly anti-Banville (who writes slow-paced, lyrical, meditative prose), but I have yet to read it.

Anyone familiar?

I recently read Christine Falls, and enjoyed it very much. It was my introduction to Black/Banville. Sometime ago, I'd read about the Magdelene Laundries, so it was interesting to see how Black used it to create his story. Since I've not read his work as Banville, I had no preconceived ideas to overcome, which helped, no doubt.

I recently read Christine Falls, and enjoyed it very much. It was my introduction to Black/Banville. Sometime ago, I'd read about the Magdelene Laundries, so it was interesting to see how Black used it to create his story. Since I've not read his work as Banville, I had no preconceived ideas to overcome, which helped, no doubt.

It is my sworn duty to implore you to read a Banville novel (w/ a dictionary within reach, probably). The Book of Evidence or The Sea are good places to begin.

It is my sworn duty to implore you to read a Banville novel (w/ a dictionary within reach, probably). The Book of Evidence or The Sea are good places to begin.

Oh, I plan to do just that. I really should keep a dictionary closer at hand anyway. If he's at all like Nabakov, I'll need a GOOD dictionary...:)

Since I am a (self-professed, now) Banville-addict, I recently copped the crime novel Christine Falls written by Banville in his nom de plume Benjamin Black. Apparently the style is alarmingly anti-Banville (who writes slow-paced, lyrical, meditative prose), but I have yet to read it.

Anyone familiar?
I didn't find it "anti-Banville" a bit. Mystery with beautiful prose, character development over the two books with more books coming. I've read both Christine Falls and The Silver Swan, and totally enjoyed them.

Really, think of it, The Book of Evidence, Ghosts, and Athena, all featuring Freddie, are mysteries of a sort. The last even being a love story.

I didn't find it "anti-Banville" a bit. Mystery with beautiful prose, character development over the two books with more books coming. I've read both Christine Falls and The Silver Swan, and totally enjoyed them.

Really, think of it, The Book of Evidence, Ghosts, and Athena, all featuring Freddie, are mysteries of a sort. The last even being a love story.

pontalba I agree with you 100% ... just because a writer jumps genres doesnt' mean he loses his special writing talents
his second benjamin black book was excellent too
and book of evidence is awesome

Back