• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Benjamin Franklin Information

Halcyon

Hello All,

About six months ago I was reading a few books on Benjamin and I recall reading about some rules, or principles that he came up with. If memory serves there were 13, but that might not be correct. I tried to find the information but without success. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? I believe the book it came from, which I no longer have access to since I’m currently residing on a 5 square-mile island in the middle of the Caribbean, was Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson.

Thanks for any information

Stephen

The only thing I'm aware of are the sayings in his Poor Richard's Almanac. It contained such gems as:

Let thy discontents be thy secrets; if the world knows them `t will despise thee and increase them.

No nation was ever ruined by trade.

Drive thy Business, or it will drive thee.

He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals.

Setting too good an example is a kind of slander seldom forgiven.

Experience keeps a dear school, yet fools will learn in no other.

Avarice and happiness never saw each other, how then should they become acquainted.

Where there's Marriage without Love, there will be Love without Marriage.
Write with the learned, pronounce with the vulgar.

Necessity never made a good bargain.

Let thy Child's first Lesson be Obedience, and the second will be what thou wilt.

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

If you'd have it done, Go: if not, Send.

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of.

If your Riches are yours, why don't you take them with you to t'other World?
A good conscience is a continual Christmas.

There is no little enemy.

God heals, and the doctor takes the fee.

There will be sleeping enough in the grave.

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Laws too gentle are seldom obeyed; too severe, seldom executed.

If you'd know the value of money, go and borrow some.

When befriended, remember it. When you befriend, forget it.

Thirteen Virtues.

1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation.

2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.

3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.

4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.

5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.

6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.

7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.

11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

Back