• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bentley Little: The Academy

lenny nero

After a school votes to leave its district and become a "charter" school, meaning privately owned and ran, weird changes and happenings abound. Three students and two teachers fight the system which threatens to destroy them all.

After branching out for 3 books from his usual formula of finding horror in the mundane and banal aspects of American life(insurance, Walmart, the post office, homeowner's associations), Little returns to it this time with the privatization of education as his muse. I've always liked his books, and having read quite a few, I feel that he's carved out his own little horrific version of American life. I also like the theme that runs through his books of people being, for the most part, apathetic sheep who will bow instantly and gladly to the most outrageous and ridiculous authoritarian demands.

This one's not filled with gore and perversion like his last couple of books, although it's still not for the easily offended, and I think it's better for it. Recommended. 391 pages.

:star3:

Back