• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Book You Have Ever Read

As of right now my favorite book of all time is Tell Noone, by Harlen Coben. I love his pulse pounding heart stopping thrillers. He leaves the reader in complete shock after each book and Tell noone is a perfect example of this.

You're going to have to expand your horizon, my man, instead of being cooped up in action, pulse-pounding, cliche.

I read books that interest me. You are jumping to conclusions, my man. Just because my favorite book is a thriller doesn't mean its all i read. I am also obviously trying to expand my horizons by posting a thread asking people what their favorite books are. I am open to any type of book.

the Outsider by Camus, i wont ruin it for you by telling you why I enjoyed it was such a great book for me.

the Idiot by dostoyevski was my favourite book for a long time

Mine changes from week to week, but Barry Unsworth's Morality Play has to be up there, along with Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon.......

When I'm looking for books to read I just browse at Amazon.com reading the summary and reviews for books.

But if you want to know my favorite book it's The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It's a space opera. If you're going to read that book you should read the book preceding it, Hyperion. There are also a couple books after The Fall of Hyperion but I didn't like those.

Mine also change from week to week, right now it is the Kushiel books, The Book Thief, Taming the Beast and Eden's Atlantis.

Stll always, The Long Walk by Richard Bachmann.

If you're into non-fiction, "Happy Like Murderers" byGordon Burn is an excellent overview of the West murders. Even better is "Out of the Shadows" by Anne Marie West. However this is out of print and current prices for second hand paper back copies are around £30. I managed to get a copy on ebay cheaply because the seller clearly didn't realise the book was out of print.

It is impossible to choose one book. I have some all time favorites in different genres and even that is always open to change.

If one can measure favoritism by number of "re-readings" mine would be "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austin. I am a romantic and I just love these books. Almost every time I have nothing to read or feel a bit down I go back to them. :)

Another favorite of mine is "The Night's Dawn Trilogy" by Peter F. Hamilton. This is actually a big science fiction "epic" divided into 3 books: "The Reality Dysfunction", "The Neutronium Alchemist" and "The Naked God". I devoured these books and was sad when it ended. :rolleyes:

Trainspotting is simply the best book ever written!

I've heard it described as a readable Ulysses - I wouldn't know about that, as I wouldn't even attempt to read it.:rolleyes:

I loved the film, but the book makes the film seem ordinary.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner is my all-time favorite. It's a tough read, especially the first part, and will probably require multiple reads to get a firm grasp on what happens. So, if you are up for a challenge, try that book!

That's a tough question, but I'd have to say that my all-time favorites are The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer, The Masque of the Red Death by Poe and just about anything written by Shakespeare. Just about any Poe will do as well, but The Masque is my favorite by far. For more contemporary books, Stephen King novels are pretty gripping in my opinion, namely The Shining, It, Salem's Lot, and The Regulators (as Bachman). I have a hard time picking just one book or one genre as my taste varies a great deal, but all of these mentioned I have read at least twice and enjoyed them each time.

If you want a book that grabs you right from the beginning and forces you to finish it, Intensity by Dean Koontz is a great read. I'm not a big Koontz fan, but finished that book in 1 day/night. If you've seen the movie, it's a horrible rendition in comparison to the book, but that's pretty much the case with any film based on a novel.

I recently read Black Order by James Rollins and found it to be a good read as well.

Choosing just one favorite book is just not possible. Even if it were, I refuse to limit myself, so here's a few favorites:

The Barrytown Trilogy-Roddy Doyle ( I didn't much care for the first book in the set, but loved The Snapper and The Van)

Angela's Ashes-Frank McCourt

The Man Who Fell From Grace With the Sea-Yukio Mishima

Reading Lolita in Tehran-Azar Nafisi

First Circle
Cancer Ward-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I could go on...

I'll tell you this: The best book I have read so far this year is Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Check it out!

Capote

AquaBlue.....The movie, Capote, was excellent and the book is probably better, as usual. Thanks for bringing it to mind.

Back