• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best horror books

Rogue

The task is quiet easy, name the best horror books and please give the main theme in brackets.

I'll start.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (vampire & dystrophie)
Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson (ghosts)
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (werewolf)
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (vampire)

Does it have to be a novel? I'd like to include:

At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft (Cthulu novella)
The Rats In the Walls - H.P. Lovecraft (Cthulu novella)

The Shining - Stephen King (insanity/possession/ghosts)
Relic - Douglas Preston [can't remember the co-author] (evil creature)

As an avid reader of horror in my teens I have come to the conclusion that horror novels, for the most part, are crap. With the novel the reader demands an explanation for why the horrors are happening - zombies walk because of toxic waste, being one example.

Horror fiction truly lies in the short story and novella format - in these formats you do not need to give an explanation of why there's a big oily beast floating out on the water or why the Candyman, a man of myth, haunts a particular area. Simply put these things happen because they do...and that's what makes them frightening, the lack of explanation.

Also, looking a the books listed above I can't help but think you have misunderstood the place of theme in a book. Vampires and ghosts aren't particular good descriptions of themes, sure there are ghosts and vampires in the books but these are not what they are about. The Shining, for example, looks at social concerns such as alcoholism and family while also playing with the idea of conscious evil as witnessed first in Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.

The Long Walk by Stephen King
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (if it applies as Horror)

Chandler McGrew - The Darkening (Religion / End of the World)
Stephen King - It - (Evil Creature)

Have a huge reading list right now of horror books that I'm sincerely trying to catch up on including Pet Semetary, Christine, The Burning, The Dead Zone, The Wheel of Time series, Bag of Bones, From a Buick 8 (Still reading that one), and Lord of the Rings. *sigh* Too much to read and not enough time! :D

Back