• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best small press books?

A.F.R.

kickbox
Not every good book gets published by Random House or HarperCollins. What is your favorite small press book? How did you hear about it?

I enjoyed Chris Genoa's Foop! (A bizarre science fiction comedy that has some similarities with Kurt Vonngut's books.) I found it while browsing Amazon.com.

What is your favorite small press book? How did you hear about it?

For me, it's probably The Fascination Of Evil by Florian Zeller. It's published by the glorious Puskin Press who bring us 19th/20th Century works of obscure European authors (Antal Szerb, Stefan Zweig, George Sand) and translations of more contemporary authors from Europe.

I was given my copy of The Fascination Of Evil to review for Palimpsest and I've enjoyed it enough to start reading another of Zeller's novels, also from Pushkin Press, today. Namely Lovers Or Something Like It. The guy's only in his twenties yet writes with the narrative assuredness of Kundera, with an obvious nod to Houellebecq in the pursuit of meta-fiction.

I've just bought Umberto Pasti's The Age Of Flowers from them and will no doubt be buying more in the future. As if they don't take enough care to bring us quality fiction, the presentation of the books is also wonderful. The older pieces are small pocket size volumes, while the contemporary works are book size but with nice cover flaps.

Back