• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Speculative Fiction Ever Written

I have used "otherworldly fiction" as an alternative to "speculative" in the past, but now that I think of it, "otherworldly" excludes a lot of earth-based hard sf.

Well, whatever you want to call them, here's some good reads:

Island in the Sea of Time-S.M Stirling(1st in series)-modern day Nantucket Island is swooped back in time about 3000 years-

Dies the Fire-Stirling-the same event as above, but told from the perspective of those left behind-

1632-Eric Flint-modern WV mining town is moved back in time and space to Germany in 1632- 1st of a series

The Two Georges-Richard Dreyfuss & Harry Turtledove-What if King George and George Washington had met and reached an agreement to avoid the American Revolution? What would the world be like today? What if a painting depicting this accord, now a national treasure, was stolen by the "Sons of Liberty?"

(I saw a quote on that site that read, "Your silence will not save you." :D )

I offer :

"The Education of Oversoul Seven", by Jane Roberts.

Not a conventional suggestion, but I do believe Kay's imaginative mix of our cultures and medieval fantasy is brilliant. I'd put forward Tigana or Lions of Al-Rassan.

I agree with Jenem and Shade - yay for Chrysalids.

ds

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban is one of the best spec. fiction books ever written imho.

I'd also classify 'Under the Skin" by Michel Faber as being another outstanding novel within this genre.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a classic - and still remakably relevant today.

Fahrenheit 451 has been mentioned quite a lot. I think it has a good chance to place high. Maybe in the top ten. Why do you feel it deserves a top spot?

Not a conventional suggestion, but I do believe Kay's imaginative mix of our cultures and medieval fantasy is brilliant. I'd put forward Tigana or Lions of Al-Rassan.

direstraits, have you read the newest one by Kay?

Back