• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best War Book

apart from the diary of anne frank, i would have to say antony beevor's the fall of berlin ... as far as novels go, the reader by bernhard schlink is an interesting take ... and of course grass's the tin drum ....

Most of the books that I have read have been your general history texts.

However, one novel does come to mind even though it doesn't technically occur during the war. Fatherland by Robert Harris takes place about twenty years after the end of the war and shows what the world might have been like if Germany had won WWII. I found it to be an enjoyable read. Originally I had seen the movie first, but the book is good too. I remember when I read it, my dad had taken me to a small festival to wait on the performance later that afternoon. I spent most of my time there reading that book while I was awaiting the entertainment we went to see. I actually finished it too. I can't help myself, but I love the ending. I wish the movie had kept it. A few years ago I found a hardcover copy in a library book sale; I think it was going for 25 cents. Mine!

I liked Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris; A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute; The Winds of War and War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk; A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. I've read a lot of books about WWII but that was a while back, can't remember them all, these were the ones that came to mind.

Although I haven't read any books that I can give a decent assessment on for WWII (read Schindler's List and Diary of Anne Frank, but quite sometime ago) :eek:, I have read "All quiet on the Western Front" twice and thought it was excellent. Now I just have read it for the heck of it and really give a decent read through.

The Thin Red Line - by James Jones
Read it awhile ago - never saw the movie version, which got so-so reviews.
Anyway, the book was tremendous.

Is Paris Burning? by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre
Adolf Hitler by John Toland
Hitler - Legend, Myth & Reality by Werner Maser

Miss Shelf mentioned A Town Like Alice above which I also enjoyed. And yes, All Quiet on the Western Front was about WWI.

The Unlikeliest Hero is a book that I want to read concerning WWII. It has made the news as of late with the passing of a great soldier.
Link

While under enemy fire on the island of Okinawa, Doss carried 75 wounded soldiers to the edge of a 400-foot cliff and lowered them to safety, according to his citation.

Okinawa was one intense battle. The island is very rocky and intensely fought for by the Japanese occupiers. The Marine Corps definitely didn't have a "soft landing" in any sense of the word.

Hmmm...books about world war 2. Can only remember that I've read Diary of Anne Frank at school. Think it's a good read if you're young and wanna read about how it was to be a teenageer during world war 2. It's a bit to "easy" for grown up I think.

I've been to Auswitch, Birkenau, Sachenhausen and Ravensbrück. It maid a huge inpact on me. Of'course we had been reading alot about world war 2 at school, but it was hard to imagine for pupils who lives in one of the safest countries to live in in 2006. It was so strange to walk around in the camps. You felt a spesial atmosphere, it was ice cold even it was sunny and a strange silence. We must never forget this part of the history. If we forget, it will happend again.

Back