• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Biographical Urge

Pheziwig

I have this urge to throw myself into writing a biography and experience what it takes to do it. I just have one problem. I have no subject, whatsoever, in mind. All advice and cheap shots are welcome.[-][/-]

Try making it an autobio. Make an outline, highlight stand out aspects and start writing!
It's practice at the least. :)

I read your post a few days ago and have spent some time in solitary meditation, pondering intensely over this quandry of yours. I emerged with a peaceful solace and came to a conclusion that came to me like a wind whispering truth to a Llama. Nikki Minaj, you must write the next great American biography classic on Nikki Minaj.

They (the famous "they") say : "Write what you know!"

Definitely "You."

Start exactly as Pontalba says, and don't worry if you can't think of every detail. Start with the most memorable; they will be most interesting to the reader. The rest will come. Write as you speak, and think of it as telling a story to someone.

Best wishes :flowers:

I am actually one of the "They" who say. At least, I think my dues are still paid up. I haven't gone to any meetings lately. I don't know what is more bizarre, Nikki Minaj or an autobiography: The Education of Pheziwig. I think something similar was once done. Perhaps I should shock some famous biographer and leap onto the biography scene with an unauthorized biography of him or her.

Have you considered an unauthorized biography of yourself? :cool:

I've tried that, all I got was:

"It was the caffeinated of times, it was the decaffeinated of times......."

Haven't been able to write $&^% since.

I have this urge to throw myself into writing a biography and experience what it takes to do it. I just have one problem. I have no subject, whatsoever, in mind. All advice and cheap shots are welcome.[-][/-]

I think it's a good idea. Just don't write an autobiography -- nobody wants to read about you.

Write a biography about someone from your area that was somewhat famous/infamous/noteworthy. That way at least you can sell copies to local libraries, historical societies, and whatnot. I've picked up a few biographies of local people because, well, they were local personalities.

I think a biography on the "Tank Man" from Tiananmen Square would be a great, especially since there is still so much conjecture about his true identity.

I think a biography on the "Tank Man" from Tiananmen Square would be a great, especially since there is still so much conjecture about his true identity.

Sadly, any meaningful research would require a trip to China and either fluency in Mandarin or access to a good interpreter fully fluent in English and Mandarin.

I often wondered what happened to the local military units that would not advance on the kids in Tiananmen Square (They had to call in another division from the provinces). I consider them greater heroes than Tank Man.

One of may favorite writers of non-fiction is Studs Terkel. I wonder if anyone is continuing his work, especially interviews with elderly people of interest before they--like Studs--are gone.

One of may favorite writers of non-fiction is Studs Terkel. I wonder if anyone is continuing his work, especially interviews with elderly people of interest before they--like Studs--are gone.

Old people are the perfect subjects for biography because they've lived a life, the supermarket bookshelves seemed packed with 'autobiographies' of youngsters.

Back