• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bird by Bird

Ruzi

Okay, I made my day better and went to the bookstore today with my dad. Now, I've been writing, short story type things, poems, songs, long stories, for the past three years, at least, and this book (by Anne Lamott) interested me. So I snatch it up. I'm currently on page fifty-one and I'm really enjoying the book, and what's more I'm feeling like I should open up an old file and finish one of the many things I start writing yet never seem to finish, or perhaps start something new. After reading what little of it that I have I feel better about how horrible my words look on the first try. A little better. Anyway, has anyone else that writes read this? If so what did you think of it? Did you find it helpful and can you recomend any other good books that are similar or on the same level?

The full title is Bird by Bird: Some instructions on Writing and Life

This book was recommend to me a few years ago and I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it. It's a wonderful and delightful book. I know a few others here (including novella & Mari) have recommended it in other threads, but it really deserves to have it's own thread. So in the spirit of using the search function, I'm resurrecting this old thread. - Hey, Ruzi might come back again! You never know. ;)

It's, as the title says, about writing and life. It's humourous, at times laugh-out-loud funny and chock full of good advice. Lamott has a great way of getting right to the demons of every writer or would-be writer. Some of the chapters, "Getting Started", "Shitty First Drafts", "Character", "Dialogue", "Plot" get right to the point and offer exercises and tips on these basics. But what I found almost more helpful were her personal anecdotes about her life as well as writing. She shows how both are inextricably intertwined.

From finding meaningful characters and letting them tell their own story, to digging to the truth within yourself in order to become a better writer, she gives the reader (writer or not) helpful and encouraging words of wisdom. I highly recommend this book to anyone, not just aspiring writers.

Natalie Goldberg is great too if you don't mind all the Zen references. Writing Down the Bones is a classic. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron is wonderful too. I also like Pen on Fire by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett, and A Writer's Book of Days by Judy Reeves. A fun little book I used to carry around with me is How to Make a Journal of Your Life by Dan Price. It isn't geared to fiction writing but it is such an encouraging book, full of ideas to get the pen moving and keep it busy. Thanks to Mr. Price, I now carry pens of every hue where ever I go, even though I am NOT much of an artist. I just like writing with the ink color of whim..

I gave this book to a friend. When I asked him how he liked it, he said, "Well, I have a crush on the author now. And I'm writing again." Seemed like a pretty good testimonial to me.

Mari said:
I gave this book to a friend. When I asked him how he liked it, he said, "Well, I have a crush on the author now. And I'm writing again." Seemed like a pretty good testimonial to me.

How could anyone not fall just a little bit in love with Anne Lamott?

Thanks for the additional recommendations! I've requested the Natalie Goldberg and Annie Dillard books at the local library.

I agree about loving Anne Lamott. She feels like someone I'd like to know personally - warm, kind and sensitive but tells it like it is with a wicked sense of humour to boot!

ps. Still, what the heck is ACITEOTW?

Back