• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blackberry picking

RainbowGurl

Today the sun was out, it is all hot and sunny here in England so I took my dog and we went blackberry picking! :D Havnt been blackberry picking for at least...11 years! :eek:

My grandparents use to have a cherry tree that was fun to pick. I'll never forget getting on the ladder with a bucket and retrieving them so that grandma could make the best cherry pie in the world. :)

We used to have a cherry tree in our garden too but ants and the birds too went on this cherry tree so over time it got infested with birds and ants so we could not pick cheerys from them as they all got eaten :(

I used to go blackberry picking as a child. My siblings and I would pick berries for hours and hours and get blackberry juice everywhere. And then I'd go inside and freak my mom out telling her I had cut myself (blackberry juice looks surprisingly a lot like blood).

I managed to lock myself out yesterday morning so whilst waiting for a spare set of keys, I decided to pass the time by eating some of the blackberries that grow down our lane :)

I pick blackberries every year at a domesticated berry patch about 10 minutes from my house. I make a "Honey, Peach, and Blackberry" Cobbler that is out of this world. :)

Blackberry picking reminds me of when I was a kid and one day we picked blackberries all morning and on the way home we were riding our bicycles on a path through the woods and I wrecked and the whole pail of blackberries went flying through the grass and woods.

I have not once seen a blackberry picking place. I've seen the occasional wild bush though. Blueberries, strawberries and macs are all the thing around here depending on the season. I've been meaning to try blueberry picking this year, but every day off is too hot or too rainy :(

When I was a kid we used to pick the wild blackberries and blueberries.

I am lucky now as there is a place about 12 minutes from my house at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains where there is a place to pick blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. The "setting" is beautiful and the guy keeps the field in good condition. It is a great place to pick berries as there are also bluebirds, bob whites, pileated woodpeckers, etc that enhance the experience. The berry season in Virginia is way past and I am now picking and enjoying peaches from one of the nearby orchards. :)

muggle said:
The "setting" is beautiful and the guy keeps the field in good condition. It is a great place to pick berries as there are also bluebirds, bob whites, pileated woodpeckers, etc that enhance the experience.

Sounds like a really nice place.

I picked some at this weekend and made a cobbler, I even got enough to freeze a few for later.

Some people never get to taste blackberries at their very best. The secret to blackberries is to only pick those that are fully ripe. Blackberries may be black but that does not mean they are yet ripe and when eaten they will be somewhat sour tasting. Only pick those that fall off into your hand to the slightest touch and you will have the very sweet tasting blackberry.

Anyhow, just thought I would post that bit of information. :)

mehastings, yes it is a nice place and the berry picking is really enjoyable. Once while picking blackberries I had picked all I needed and there was an elderly woman (probably 75 to 80) that I was talking with and she really wanted blackberries for eating fresh. I helped her pick enough to fill all her containers and she was so thankful.

Over here it is more common to pick plums. I always used to pick plums with my siblings and my cousins when we all went on holiday to our grandparent's batch by the beach. That really brings back a lot of old memories :)

MonkeyCatcher

We've been blackberry picking recently, there are plenty in the hedge rows here abouts. We also get damsons and sloes and if you know where to look green gauges and crab apples.

Back