• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blog Author Interviews

bibliofreak

Hi All,

I'm new here so if I blindly break any house rules, someone hollar at me :innocent:

I started my own book review blog a few months back and I've decided to start interviewing authors for the site.

I've just finished my first interview and it went really well. It's only q&a, but all in it greatly weighs in at 3000 words. Does anyone have experience in this area, what's an ideal length? There isn't much I'd want to cut, but should I considerate for the good of my readers?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you should have both a full version and a shorter, cut one. Display the short version on your blog with a link to the full version. I think that if you only put the full version on, you might scare off potential readers because of the interview's length.

Hi,

I've some experience of this myself, and actually wonder this too sometimes. At the end of the day it's out of your control a little as it will depend on the authors themselves and the answers they give.

I've short punchy reviews that are great; they're precise and to the point. Then one review I've with an author ran like 4k+ words, but it's really in depth, very relevant to certain sectors of fans, and received several emails and comments from folks about how interesting it is. I debated trimming it, but am so very glad I didn't. In it there was lots of comment socio-political in nature almost, and then in the UK just weeks later we had the riots. Retrospectively that interview really was a piece that went places other interviews didn't. So - it honestly does depend. Is the piece with the author interesting? That's what I'd ask myself each time.

Just make sure you're not asking the same clichéd questions all the time, and lay it out well on the page - questions highlighted and different text from interview. That way people can skip between certain questions that may not be of interest to other questions that are.

Make sure your interviews are well timed to the purposes of your blog and not just necessarily author's. Many self-published authors, or normal authors for that matter, will request interviews near to release of their books or just for publicity sakes. Now - does this suit you? Does it suit your blog? One reason I started my site was that I was fed up with the quality of general content in many other similar sites. So try and get a different angle from other sites out there. Be better, be different etc.

Don't compromise your own goals to help others blindly, but remember it is a two-way street and you'll want to help authors out too if they're giving your their time/attention/effort.

Polly Parrot - You might be right there, maybe I could split the post over several pages so as not intimidate readers when they first call up the interview.

Will - Thanks for the advice. I've just read a couple of the interviews on your blog and they illustrate your points perfectly. And, I'd agree about needing to find a balance between the author's needs and your own. Having started the blog a couple of months ago I have definitely found the need to find the balance. Being new to interviewing I think I am falling into the trap of asking fairly standard questions, but it's a learning curve I guess - I definitely try to ask interesting and relevant questions.

As a reader, I'd say keep it short, but I do like the idea of a clipped and longer version. Pick your 5-7 fav questions and answers then offer the full version through a link.
This world is increasingly bent toward short and sweet.

Back