• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blue Spud

novella

What am I doing in a place with blue potatoes and stainless steel chairs? Marie thought, scanning the huge gray room with scorn. Felt like an aquarium. A stiff breeze slid across her bare shivering knees when the double doors opened.

“I should’ve brought a blanket,” she said.

"M'hot," Skid said, shaking his head in disagreement and shovelling a forkful of puff pastry into the gap. Stray flakes of pastry adhered to his upper lip.

She was frowning hard, but let it happen. **** wrinkles. She bolted the third goldfish bowl of sauvignon blanc as soon as the waiter set it down, tapped the rim of her glass, and he scurried off to get another.

Sensing that his beloved was dancing at the edge of another scene, Skid eyed her cautiously, just barely catching her eye.

“You gonna eat that or what?” he asked, pointing his fork at the unattractive lump of duck breast lurking next to the violet spud pile.

He wanted the duck. She saw the lazy way his eyes rested on it, like a dog with a bad plan. He was about to stab it right across the table. She felt the inevitability of it. He raised his arm and it wavered, fork extended, over the low votive candle, unsteadily threatening the wine glasses. She picked up the pale green plate and held it just within his reach. Stab. As soon as the duck was aloft, Skid waved the plate away. It slid out of her hand and clattered back onto the metal table like a garbage can lid hitting pavement.

The fourth glass came. The waiter eyed the duckless plate. She moved the cutlery to four-twenty and he took it away.

“M’umgry,” Skid said, nodding his head in gratitude, a mouthful of bird-muffle. Skid talk for “This is good. I’m hungry.”

Marie hated him thoroughly just then, from his black hair combed up like fresh turf to his two-toned soft-soled shoes. But she also knew that the sharp stab of revulsion she felt would wear down to a dull, familiar loathing in an hour or two, and she would resume ignoring him, listening with half an ear, and looking on the bright side of a not-too-great situation. She contemplated that fate, watching him masticulate the food.

It wasn’t so much the ugly-trendy clothes or that he did absolutely everything with his mouth open. It wasn’t even his juvie-puppy criminal dumbness. What got to her was the steady vibe of fear and passivity he gave off.

In a way, she wanted to stab his hairy arm with a fork, but, at the same time, she didn’t want to hurt him. It would be too painful to see his face when he realized that he was right all this time: the world is unpredictable and hostile and you should keep your head down and just keep eating.

“I gotta hit the head,” he said, chewing as he stood. He laid his napkin across his plate and walked toward the men's room. Marie threw back the last gulp of wine, slipped a twenty to the good waiter, and slid towards the door, as smoothly and easily as the sugarplum fairy in Holiday on Ice.

smfairy.jpg

Love it!

The characters engaged me immediately. At the end of the piece, I wanted to know more about them: How'd they get together, who she is, what happens next, his reaction when he gets back to the table and so on.

Is this part of a novel or meant as a stand alone?

Pretty good, novella. Catching dialogue, original. Must be part of something more, as Ell suggested? A novel, perhaps? Mh'h.

Thanks Ell and Eugen for comments.

Nothing going on with this. Was just for a giggle, a distraction today from my actual writing, which is dense and demanding and requires me to become emotionally engaged with it. That immersion can be tough day after day, like diving into a wreck, to quote Adrienne Rich.

So between posthumping Moto's thread and this, it was a less-productive day than it should have been. Nose is not pressing on the grindstone that hard. Had to surface for a breath of air and a some friendly engagement with the living.

novella said:
Nothing going on with this. Was just for a giggle, a distraction today from my actual writing, which is dense and demanding and requires me to become emotionally engaged with it. That immersion can be tough day after day, like diving into a wreck, to quote Adrienne Rich.

So between posthumping Moto's thread and this, it was a less-productive day than it should have been. Nose is not pressing on the grindstone that hard. Had to surface for a breath of air and a some friendly engagement with the living.

always can find something encouraging in your non-intentionly talking about your hard working daily life.

Honestly, liked to read the dialogue.

watercrystal said:
always can find something encouraging in your non-intentionly talking about your hard working daily life.

Are you making fun? No one can write fiction for 8 hours straight. I consider it an accomplishment if I do 4 hours or 1000 words. When you work at home alone, the internet is your watercooler. Know what I mean?

Hey novella

Just read this and gotta say I'm totally hooked! How did two such different people come to be together? Where is she going? Think this would make a great beginning to either a novel or a short story. Great characters, great piece, you should definately do something with it....

mojo said:
Hey novella

Just read this and gotta say I'm totally hooked! How did two such different people come to be together? Where is she going? Think this would make a great beginning to either a novel or a short story. Great characters, great piece, you should definately do something with it....

You're a prince. I do love compliments!

mojo said:
princess but hey :)

wouldn't say it if i didn't mean it....

Dang, I checked your profile first and it said male. You can't trust anything you read on the internet!

SillyWabbit said:
It's rubbish.

Thanks for this informative, constructive post.

Are you referring to the little vignette or to something else? Can't you manage to sprinkle a few emoticons in there, as per your usual depth of expression and intellectual contribution?

Can't you mention waterfowl or biscuits again, please?

Deep inside every SillyWabbit there's a rectangular can of luncheon meat waiting to get out.

Yeah I can :) :) ;)

You mean it's as constructive as this
I'm only on page two and already I know I will hate this book.

Throws at wall.
that you posted on the colab story thread?

What was the point of that? Is that constructive? OOooooh but it's OK for YOU to leave those sort of comments coz you are funny and pithy, right? You are the great and wonderful Novella right? But I or nobody else can do it or you get ( as usual ) insulting? Of if somebody dare to disagree with you... well, how dare they? I mean, we are all morons right? Illiterate nobodies that pepper our posts with emoticons?

Well, yeah, I can pepper my posts with emoticons. Can you sprinkle your posts with over opinionated hot air and utter drivel and use ever so big words so we see how clever you are? I for one am impressed! I am in awe of you! And please will you wow us all with how you are a famous editor? I'm sure we are just all riveted! :) :) Oh yeah, and can you please get insulting ( as you just have ) when somebody says something you don't like? :) :) It's OK for you to leave little snippy comments but nobody else, right? :D :) ;) haha, that's because you are the great Novella and are so witty, pithy and smart right? We all love you Nov ;) I know I do! :) Ooooh and can you please do another 1001 thingy? That was so witty and clever! Please go on for hundred odd postings with that again!!! Sure we all want to see it. :) :D ;)

I got news for you. To quote in the vernacular of us common people, "Novella, you ain't all that an a bag of potato chips."

SillyWabbit said:
Yeah I can :) :) ;)

You mean it's as constructive as this that you posted on the colab story thread?

What was the point of that? Is that constructive? OOooooh but it's OK for YOU to leave those sort of comments coz you are funny and pithy, right? You are the great and wonderful Novella right? But I or nobody else can do it or you get ( as usual ) insulting? Of if somebody dare to disagree with you... well, how dare they? I mean, we are all morons right? Illiterate nobodies that pepper our posts with emoticons?

Well, yeah, I can pepper my posts with emoticons. Can you sprinkle your posts with over opinionated hot air and utter drivel and use ever so big words so we see how clever you are? I for one am impressed! I am in awe of you! And please will you wow us all with how you are a famous editor? I'm sure we are just all riveted! :) :) Oh yeah, and can you please get insulting ( as you just have ) when somebody says something you don't like? :) :) It's OK for you to leave little snippy comments but nobody else, right? :D :) ;) haha, that's because you are the great Novella and are so witty, pithy and smart right? We all love you Nov ;) I know I do! :) Ooooh and can you please do another 1001 thingy? That was so witty and clever! Please go on for hundred odd postings with that again!!! Sure we all want to see it. :) :D ;)

I got news for you. To quote in the vernacular of us common people, "Novella, you ain't all that an a bag of potato chips."

Ooohh, I thought it was about that. I knew that would come back to haunt me. The way the collab story was developing was just too visceral for me, but I should've restrained my little fingers from typing that nasty comment. Please accept my apology.

One thing is true. I do get a little mean sometimes. It's a natural imbalance in my system, which is no excuse, but does have its negative repercussons. Aside from the physiological root of this condition, I was raised in a large family of vinegar-swilling carnivores who think Insulting is an Olympic event. I can seem especially mean to the Only Children of the world, who didn't get alarm clocks thrown at their heads as a friendly wake-up call.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go change that comment. . .

Can we be buds?

bobbyburns said:
doesn't get much gayer than that.

Why? Do gay people say such things as a matter of course? Or are you just implying that they do? I'm assuming that you're drawing this comparison in a negative light, so are you using some sort of negative stereotype of gay people that you have and using it to critisise gay peoples speech in general? Tsk, Tsk, shameful.

novella said:
Ooohh, I thought it was about that. I knew that would come back to haunt me. The way the collab story was developing was just too visceral for me, but I should've restrained my little fingers from typing that nasty comment. Please accept my apology.

One thing is true. I do get a little mean sometimes. It's a natural imbalance in my system, which is no excuse, but does have its negative repercussons. Aside from the physiological root of this condition, I was raised in a large family of vinegar-swilling carnivores who think Insulting is an Olympic event. I can seem especially mean to the Only Children of the world, who didn't get alarm clocks thrown at their heads as a friendly wake-up call.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go change that comment. . .

Can we be buds?

Yes, we can be buds. I will restrain from putting a little smiley! Although... very difficult!

Back