• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BMW confirms Villeneuve

ions said:
Like there was any doubt. :D

For the F1 fans here. If there are any.
Not a F1 fan but do love auto racing. Check my signature. I helped her put together her website, in a minor way. I was associated with Glacier Bear Racing. :)

Been a while since I followed it. The last year I was serious was the second of Schumacher's Ferrari titles.

Seems to be interesting that BMW is going out on their own. Who's supplying engines for Williams now? (And yes, I think Jacques is a good pick for anyone putting together a team.)

Yes, follower here. Bigger news recently was Ecclestone's sale of shares. I always root for Button, despite the hidden gas tank fiasco.

I thought Alonso was great. It would have been great (for the Brits) if Button had won or if McLaren had but I like Alonso's style. Can't wait for the next season.

I think there's a conspiracy here - deep down inside, at the point where F1 is at risk of imploding due to the unrivalled supremacy of Ferrari, and attendance slowly slipping to all time lows, I think someone may have said "Hey Jean, tone your team down this year, and let some young guns run the show a while." Anyone else think this way, or is it just me?

I have always liked Hakkinen. I've even been tempted to change my name to Direstraitenen to increase my chances of driving for McClaren when Raikkonen decides he's had enough.

ds

I don;t think there is any conspiracy but rather believe that fans are just becoming a little disenchanted with F1. Other forms of auto racing are more competitive and also more fun to watch. I am not "knocking" F1 as all auto racing is good but if I have a choice I will watch racing other than F1. The race at Indianapolis was a complete disgrace to the Series.

direstraits said:
I think there's a conspiracy here - deep down inside, at the point where F1 is at risk of imploding due to the unrivalled supremacy of Ferrari, and attendance slowly slipping to all time lows, I think someone may have said "Hey Jean, tone your team down this year, and let some young guns run the show a while." Anyone else think this way, or is it just me?

I have always liked Hakkinen. I've even been tempted to change my name to Direstraitenen to increase my chances of driving for McClaren when Raikkonen decides he's had enough.

ds

I attributed Ferrari's decline to the death of the last pope, who had granted a papal blessing to the team. It must have expired.

But Schumacher puts it down the the new engine and the tires. Go figure.

I tried to find a pair of boots like Alonso's championship golden booties, but they remain elusive.

muggle said:
I don;t think there is any conspiracy but rather believe that fans are just becoming a little disenchanted with F1. Other forms of auto racing are more competitive and also more fun to watch. I am not "knocking" F1 as all auto racing is good but if I have a choice I will watch racing other than F1. The race at Indianapolis was a complete disgrace to the Series.

That's because the track at Indy sucked. The surface is wrong, the safety services were nonexistent, and the overall design was not F1 compatible. The US just doesn't 'get' F1. They prefer endless races around oval tracks.

novella said:
That's because the track at Indy sucked. The surface is wrong, the safety services were nonexistent, and the overall design was not F1 compatible. The US just doesn't 'get' F1. They prefer endless races around oval tracks.
WooHoo, now we are discussing racing like motorsport forums usually do. :D

Doug Johnson said:
What do you like?
I enjoy CHAMP, World Challenge, and Trans Am was pretty darn good before they ruined the series. Trans Am was where we raced for a partial season in 2000 with Marybeth as our driver. That was when there were some darn good drivers in the Series. Paul Gentilozzi befriended our team and gave Marybeth some tips about a few tracks. If we could have picked up a sponsor Marybeth could have developed into a top 10 driver. When we raced there were around 40 cars entered in the races.

Oh yeah, I also do like Nascar. :) That should get a few comments. :)

Doug Johnson said:
Very cool. Some day I must go to racing school. You're a little far away from me though.
You don't happen to be in Canada are you. Marybeth runs a racing school now and she has 8 to 10 race cars. Her home base is Vancouver, BC but she travels across Canada and also puts on Corporate Days. The website of the racing school is: http://www.proformanceracing.com/index.html

I can't speak highly enough of her, she is one great person. If you check out her website you can find where I gave her a pretty good endorsement.
Check the part under "Sponsorship". http://www.marybeth-harrison.com/

Skip Barber's school at Lime Rock, CT, is a short drive for me. I'm going to send my son there to do a defensive driving course in a year or so, when he's at that age.

novella said:
Skip Barber's school at Lime Rock, CT, is a short drive for me. I'm going to send my son there to do a defensive driving course in a year or so, when he's at that age.
Lime Rock is a good track except their noise regulations on Sundays is a pain. My opinion of the best 5 road tracks in North America are:
1. Laguna Seca
2. Road America
3. Watkins Glen
4. Virginia Int'l Raceway
5. Mosport (Bowmanville, Canada)

Yeah Mosport is a great track. I'd love to see someone sink a hundred million (or 3) and update the track while maintaining the layout.

I was not expecting a response. I guess with the amount of UK residents we do have around here I should have known better. I have to agree with the sentiment voiced that F1 has major issues. Unfortunately even with all those issues for me it's still the most entertaining series. I pay attention to a handful. So since there are some F1 fans here....

- Anyone else think Kimi was the better driver over Alonso this year?
- Williams is using Cosworth in 2006 scooter13.
- I think Ferrari took a step backwards in more than just tires. in 2004 they were X ahead of Minardi. In 2005 they were X/2 ahead of Minardi. Minardi wasn't that much better of a team in 2005. Both teams ran Bridgstone.
- I can't get excited about Button. I think the record he holds for being the driver with the most points who never won sums him up perfectly.
- The US GP should be held at Watkins Glen and not Indianapolis.
- Will BMW build a decent car in year 1?

I might do the racing school at Mosport. New owner, new location, but Jacques took lessons there many years ago. (I new I could get this thread back on topic.) The school is excellent.

Sorry about going off-topic. It is hard to shut me up once I start talking racing. I will back out of this topic as I find it difficult to keep my mouth shut when racing is being discussed........BTW, did I tell you about the case of beer I had to buy Gentilozzi at Mosport.....:D

Alright, I will refrain from this thread. :)

ions said:
- Anyone else think Kimi was the better driver over Alonso this year?

Kimi did some amazing overtaking to get back up the pack on several occasions. It was a shame he was let down with engine problems - there's no doubt he's a great and aggressive driver. I think that's where Button fails. I love him but am not sure he has the aggression to win. Alonso kept his cool throughout the season and didn't make errors. It will be interesting to see how Alonso and Kimi get on next season.

Back