• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

bobby and irene

bobbyburns

I dunno if this is that sublimal advertising you hear about, but I was watching polyester, and now suddenly I'm thirsty for a blonde haired girl with sunglasses and a rock tee. but the only girl I ever knew who fit that description was irene. irene, where are you?

Here I am Mr. Burns, back by special request from one I hold near and dear.

Fully-shaded, black T-shirt and jeans, and a heart full to the brim with tasty rock licks.

bobbyburns said:
heh, I was listening to slaughter on 10th avenue last night and it reminded me of you.

By coincidence, I was listening to that just yesterday. Good stuff!

Do you know "FBI"? Kicks ass!

haven't heard it. I just recently found out that ronson played all of the guitars on transformer. now I worship at his altar.

There's always room from one more to worship at the altar of Ronno. You really should get "Welcome to the Club" and "YUI Orta." Mick's blistering on both. Fans of "Slaughter" will love "Sweet Dreamer."

Gotta go be the carpool.

ok. this weekend I'll show you my new wrestling outfit. it's basically this ...

14856.jpg

minus the arm bands.

The lovebirds are cooing again . . . .

Hi Irene, So nice to see you. Read any good books lately?

How's the writing going?

Nice get-up, but thought you were more of a corduroy man, bobber.

novella said:
Read any good books lately?

How's the writing going?

Nice get-up, but thought you were more of a corduroy man, bobber.

Mr. Burns does rock! One day you folks are going to appreciate the multi-faceted gem that is Mr. Burns.

Just finished "Locos" by Phillipe Alfau, a recommendation from our friend in exile Warm Enema. Fantastic piece of work.

The writing has begun to flow again, post-nervous breakdown. It's slow and unsure, but it's progress.

But to get back to my discussion with Mr. Burns -- Sweetie, did you read they are re-making (you won't believe this) "Mothra"? Someone else apparently thought it was time for an update.

I must go make preparations to sell Girl Scouts Cookies (now $4 per box, but made with 20% more real Girl Scouts).

when did you hear that? ya know, you'd think after the last godzilla film disappointed an entire base of fans, hollywood would wake up. there's no way it will be as cutting as the originals. am I the only one who thinks its stupid to recreate these classics? with the exceptions of dawn of the dead and assault on precinct 13, which were both quasi-independent films, hollywood is talentless and lazy when it comes to remaking films. what's next? the bad news bears starring billy bob thornton? oh wait, that's scheduled for a 2005 release.

bobbyburns said:
when did you hear that? ya know, you'd think after the last godzilla film disappointed an entire base of fans, hollywood would wake up. there's no way it will be as cutting as the originals. am I the only one who thinks its stupid to recreate these classics? with the exceptions of dawn of the dead and assault on precinct 13, which were both quasi-independent films, hollywood is talentless and lazy when it comes to remaking films. what's next? the bad news bears starring billy bob thornton? oh wait, that's scheduled for a 2005 release.

I read it in LA Times about a week or so ago. No release dates and such, just something on the drawing board somewhere.

"Assault on Precinct 13" is one of those low-budget films that was way ahead of its time. I'm glad you appreciate it.

I was reading on imdb that the very first line in ap13 is the same as the very first line in star wars. the gang member says, "did you hear that?", which is the same line that C3PO says in star wars. both films were released in 1976. little coincidences like that interest me for some reason. anyway, low-budget granted, but when you look at directors like kubrick and coppola, who were given multi-million dollar budgets and spent years in pre-production, compare anything carpenter filmed back in the day to a clockwork orange or apocalypse now and it still exudes coolness.

I was watching halloween last weekend and my dad came in my room. for some reason he got all freaked out. apparently it used to give him nightmares way back before I was even born. that kind of thing satisfies my oedipus complex.

bobbyburns said:
anyway, low-budget granted, but when you look at directors like kubrick and coppola, who were given multi-million dollar budgets and spent years in pre-production, compare anything carpenter filmed back in the day to a clockwork orange or apocalypse now and it still exudes coolness.

I was watching halloween last weekend and my dad came in my room. for some reason he got all freaked out. apparently it used to give him nightmares way back before I was even born. that kind of thing satisfies my oedipus complex.

I'm a big fan of "Clockwork Orange" and I can't knock Kubrick for taking his time on that one. However, you are right about Carpenter, and especially Halloween. Back when, he could do a lot with a little and come up with classics. A little quirk I enjoy about Carpenter is that he writes his own movie music. Apparently there were once aspirations to rock n' roll stardom. I guess that didn't pan out (or maybe it was just something he did for fun). Either way, we got "Halloween," "Escape from New York," and "Big Trouble in Little China," where Carpenter could apply his rock n' roll sensibilities to film. And Kurt Russell's career got to have a life after Disney.

Whenever I watch AOP13 the soundtrack stays in my head for weeks afterwards. I've never found it on record though. Even if the film wasn't so brilliant the soundtrack would earn Carpenter a place in my pantheon.

Hello, Billy Dear! Lovely to see you! :)

Carpenter's "Halloween" theme gives me chills every time I hear it. It brings that film right back to you, and that movie was flippin' scary first time I saw it! Poor Jamie Lee in the closet! And the theme from "Escape from New York" is so memorable I can recognize it in two notes!

I think the theme from Assault on Precinct 13 only has two notes. But beautifullt arranged.

PS In honour of the return of Irene Wilde I have posted a romantic love poem on the writers showcase.

A poem dedicated to little ol' me!?! I'm so touched. And it's a brilliant piece of work. You capture the delicate essence romance with lines like:

From a girl who once had read a book
but couldn’t remember which,

You’ve had a thought or two I know
I tried to teach you how,

and, of course:

But you couldn’t keep your knickers on

It's a portrait of love!

If only Waylon Jennings were still alive to sing it!

Back