• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

book advice

yoyoloco

hi all, am a new to the reading bussines :],
i have read 5-6 books of potter, and i really liked them, im going to read the other tho.. but what i would like is a bit of advice in what books are actually entertainin... i was looking for something like h. potter but i dont know, i like sci-fi things etc, and i like big long books :D.
thx

Definitely try His Dark Materials - the books are fantastic. Ender's Game is another book that I second. You may also want to try Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - it's more fantasy than sci-fi - but it's long and enjoyable :D

You can try the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Each of the three books are very long and you might like them. They are fantasy, but since you like sci-fi, I really don't know if you would like them.

How old are you? I think it might be relevant to what folks suggest. Giving the Harry Potter books as a guideline doesn't really help all that much because those books are read by adults and young children. I wouldn't want to suggest a book that might be too mature for you if you're young.

im 17 so i can read all types of books ;], and i refer to harry potter cuz i like the writting style and how the story is developed, and i like fiction.

Try some Brian Jacques books, they're awesome. You might also want to check out all those Star Trek books f you're really into sci-fi....most people I know that love sci-fi love Star Trek books.;)

yoyoloco said:
hi all, am a new to the reading bussines :],
i have read 5-6 books of potter, and i really liked them, im going to read the other tho.. but what i would like is a bit of advice in what books are actually entertainin... i was looking for something like h. potter but i dont know, i like sci-fi things etc, and i like big long books :D.
thx

War and Peace. It's a little dry until Napoleon invades Russia with cybernetic men. Fairly fast-paced from that point on.

Thanks for the age clarification. In that case, I'm going to agree with Stewart and CattiGuen. His Dark Materials and the Redwall series are both sure bets. I'd also suggest Tamora Pierce. I've read her Song of the Lioness series, but I've heard all her books are good.

yoyoloco said:
i have a question, what genre is harry potter?

It is Young Adult Fiction. The first few books could fit into Children's Fiction.

Artemis Fowl is similar to Harry Potter, but they're not as long as HP. They're definitely worth the read, though. I would also reccomend Nick Green's Cat Kin, but I believe he's already pulled the self-published version off of the shelves, so you may have to wait for it to come out again. You may like Eragon by Chris Paolini and the Bartimaeus trilogy by Johnathan Stroud as well, but do not read anything by Cornelia Funke. She treats her readers like they're babies.

mehastings said:
I'd also suggest Tamora Pierce. I've read her Song of the Lioness series, but I've heard all her books are good.
I was going to suggest her, but I wasn't too sure if she was known overseas - her books are great, definitely worth a try :) The Obernewtyn series (starting with Obernewtyn) by Isobelle Carmody may also be to your liking.

his dark materials is amazing, you may also enjoy the stravaganza series by mary hoffman or faery wars by herbie brennan

omg thx u guys very much :D, i think am currently checking out his dark materials it seem to be a good piece of work, so thx anyway!!!!
btw have anyone read the dresden files? by jim butcher it seems pretty interesting and the series have now 8 books :O.

I've heard about them, and I'm thinking about reading them. Haven't started yet, though. *pulls out to-be-read list about a mile long*

Back