• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

book advice

hmm what about the chronicles of narnia seems interesting, but a few ppl have told me that is a children's literature, that the language is simple and is like a child story...
is this true????
i wonder why is so popular....
i might give it a try even if it is a child book ;]

yoyoloco said:
hmm what about the chronicles of narnia seems interesting, but a few ppl have told me that is a children's literature, that the language is simple and is like a child story...
is this true????
i wonder why is so popular....
i might give it a try even if it is a child book ;]
The books are aimed at children, but they are still perfectly enjoyable when read by an adult. The writing is about mid-way between Rowling's older Harry Potter books and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

David Edding's books about Belgariad is great. It's fantasy and very funny and witty humor.:)
It's ten books but they're really great

I enjoyed those books but I suggest you read the summary/review and decide whether they interest you or not.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Wind On Fire trilogy by William Nicholson

I'm reading Memoirs of a Geisha right now, and surprisingly the writing style reminds me a lot of Harry Potter. The way each chapter is set up is a lot like Potter, and being set in a culture that is very different from ours it even reads somewhat like a fantasy. It's extremely good, however you look at.

yoyoloco said:
hi all, am a new to the reading bussines :],
i have read 5-6 books of potter, and i really liked them, im going to read the other tho.. but what i would like is a bit of advice in what books are actually entertainin... i was looking for something like h. potter but i dont know, i like sci-fi things etc, and i like big long books :D.
thx

Narnia's lovely, and the writing is wonderful. If you'd like something similar to Harry Potter, you could check out: Diana Wynne Jones; Jane Yolen (I like her short stories better than her book-length fiction); Ursula K. LeGuin, and Neil Gaiman (culty writer I've never liked, but adored by his fans). Douglas Adams' scifi/comedy Hitchhiker's series is good (and much, much better than the movie; I'm just rereading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and remembering how much I like him.

I would add the following:

Ice / Storm / Thaw by Stephen Bowkett
Across the Nightingale Floor / Grass For His Pillow / Brilliance of the Moon by Lian Hearn
The Black Magician trilogy (The Magicians' Guild, The Novice and The High Lord) by Trudi Canavan
Warriors of Alavna / Warriors of Camlann by N M Browne (and Basilisk by the same author)
Sabriel / Lirael / Abhorsen by Garth Nix
Exodus by Julie Bertagna.

:)

Back