• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Covers

Violanthe

What books that you've read have the best cover art? Which covers are the most well done? Which ones are most truly evocative of the book inside? Which covers have had the power to pick up a book from the store shelf and give it a try?

This usually works:

ST25-58.jpg

Mari said:
This usually works:

ST25-58.jpg

I like garage sale or friends of the library sale signs too;)

But for true cover art, I liked the cover of Lord Valentine's Castle and the Wheel of Time series. Oh, and I really like the Xanth covers too. They're usually funny.

The texture or an interesting feel will draw me in. It's part of the reason I was drawn to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - the paper is an odd texture.

Kookamoor said:
The texture or an interesting feel will draw me in. It's part of the reason I was drawn to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - the paper is an odd texture.

I think that textured paper is supposed to make us feel like we're reading a wizard's notebook.

abecedarian said:
I think that textured paper is supposed to make us feel like we're reading a wizard's notebook.
:D Possibly. Or to sell books, because it made me pick it up.

Just thought of something else. Big gold sparkly lettering turns me off. It makes the book look like a 'blockbuster' which is not something I am drawn to.

I'm with you Kook, if the cover hurts my eyes, I probably won't be so interested. I also like a synopsis on the back. I hate picking up a book and turning it over to find a big photo of the writer, and the inside cover is nothing but rave reviews...Like I care what the Washington Post or anyone else thinks about this book or author! Hello! I have a brain! Just tell me what the book is about and quit wasting my time:rolleyes:

abecedarian said:
I also like a synopsis on the back. I hate picking up a book and turning it over to find a big photo of the writer, and the inside cover is nothing but rave reviews...Like I care what the Washington Post or anyone else thinks about this book or author! Hello! I have a brain! Just tell me what the book is about and quit wasting my time:rolleyes:
Yes! A book without a blurb is frustrating and not a little bit arrogant!! Just because Joe Bloggs thought it was "a real page turner" doesn't necessarily mean that it is my cup of tea.

The cover art does not really have much of an influence on my decision to buy or not. I make up my mind from other factors, such as the blurb, or a recommendation, or it being one of my favourite authors. Indeed, I often pick up a book I have decided to buy and think "What a bloody awful cover!" but it doesn't make me put my choice back on the shelf.

Saying that, I was impressed by the cover art for the UK editions of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy - a lone cloaked figure on a stark, white background. Very striking.

A little off-topic. I recently had a book from the library that was so old and kinda dirty that my wife wrapped the cover in "plastic wrap" so that I would not have to touch the books cover while reading.:) :D

muggle said:
A little off-topic. I recently had a book from the library that was so old and kinda dirty that my wife wrapped the cover in "plastic wrap" so that I would not have to touch the books cover while reading.:) :D

Eeewww Ick! That's 'gusting as my 4 year old would say!

That's worse than my library book-in-a baggie story. I'd ILL'd a G.A. Henty book, and didn't notice the publication date..and received a first edition, 100 year old copy. It was tied up with a lenghth of yarn and placed in a plastic bag. Someone had put a sticky note on it that read:
This is very old, please use with care!" Riiight. Like I was gonna let my kids read that one all by themselves..or like I was gonna even cart it home at all:rolleyes: Why couldn't they have just told my librarian it was unlendable?

I also don't take book covers into account when picking up a book. I get most from the library, and choose them based on online recommendations.

My own book covers, all my books. I carefully design them myself.

If I can custom made my future kids. (If I will have any) I will do the same. :D

Esepecially the next book I am currently writing, I have finished the design of the covers both for the front and back are brilliant. Which I have to keep it a secret now, because it is not copyrighted yet.

The name will be "Astral Projection Journeys". It is better than "Harry Potter." It is lots of fun.

:eek:

In general, do people prefer covers with pictures of the characters? Or would you rather imagine the characters as you see them, and not have a picture provided for you?

Violanthe said:
In general, do people prefer covers with pictures of the characters? Or would you rather imagine the characters as you see them, and not have a picture provided for you?

In that case, they will need great imaginations. Not that anything wrong with it. :D

abecedarian said:
and the inside cover is nothing but rave reviews...Like I care what the Washington Post or anyone else thinks about this book or author! Hello! I have a brain! Just tell me what the book is about and quit wasting my time:rolleyes:

I totally agree with you! The worst is when the backcover is just reviews too, and you can't find the actual plot of the book anywhere. Are there actually people out there who don't care what a book is about as long as the Washington Post likes it?

I have to agree with Kookamoor about the importance of texture. I like it when they give it an older feeling or mix it up so that it's both matte and shiny. Also, it must have a will to say something about the book - covers with unmanipulated photos and big gold lettering - ough!

pink shadow said:
I totally agree with you! The worst is when the backcover is just reviews too, and you can't find the actual plot of the book anywhere. Are there actually people out there who don't care what a book is about as long as the Washington Post likes it?

I have to agree with Kookamoor about the importance of texture. I like it when they give it an older feeling or mix it up so that it's both matte and shiny. Also, it must have a will to say something about the book - covers with unmanipulated photos and big gold lettering - ough!

Is it just me or is that happening more lately? It seems the last few times I've been out book shopping I've had a hard time finding the blurbs.

Covers often draw my attention to books and sometimes if they are used and cheap I'll buy them because I like the cover:)

Spines are important too, since used book shops often have so much to sort through it helps if the spine is a real eye grabber.

I dont like book covers showing a scene from the book.

I cant help but be impatient while I'm reading, waiting for this promised event to occur. And I agree that covers with only reviews from newspapers and the like are rubbish. Even these reviews have most missing from them;
"The most exciting... book you'll read this year"
could be taken from a page-long criticism.

I don't like to think I judge books by their covers, but it is certainly an important factor in influencing the decision.

I think that back cover reviews are sometimes helpful, but when they're by an author that you know and like - which means that the book is probably supposed to be a similar kind of story.

Back