• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Discussion - Flowers for Algernon

rune

I've not read this book so unable to comment. However, I am looking forward to hearing what others think :D

Whoops, i suggested it, but havn't been keeping up to date. :D This is a wonderful and highly original novel about a mentally challenged man named Charlie who wants to be smart. One day, his wish was granted. A group of scientists select him for an experimental operation which would to raise his intelligence to genius level (Algernon being the genius mouse that it was first tested on). Suddenly, Charlie finds himself transformed, and life, as he knows it, changes dramatically.

I found that best part of this book is not so much the plot thought, but the brilliant characterisation of Charlie. His growing inteligence allows him to evaluate and comment on how life has treated him, and as much of the book is in the form of the progress reports Charlie writes about himself it is intensely personal. :cool:

I would definately recomend reading this to everyone, especially those with a low opinion of SF - and giving it as an Xmas present to any bullies you know ;)

It also won the Hugo for best novella, and Nebula for best novel.

we read it in elementary school

I'm not sure what elementary school is, but if it's like British primary school then you are very lucky. At my schools we never read any novel that wasn't written especially for children (bloody Moonfleet!), even in top set at high school. Plus, according to the link below, its one of the most challenged books of the '90s in american libraries.

http://listsofbests.com/list/17/

Thanks :) I copied and pasted so don't know how i managed that. It works now. FFA is no. 43.

Finished it this morning. I really didn't like Charlie at all. After his operation he became the most arrogant twat in the world. I appreciate that he was still emotionally stunted, but as the memories came back to him of how he was treated as a child he still learned nothing about being respectful to those around him. The only person in the whole book I could care about was the teacher, Miss Kinnian. She was the certainly the only one who managed to remain a decent person throughout.

When he reverted at the end of the book I could see that it should have been upsetting, but I didn't care at all. He couldn't understand what was going on, and the person he'd become wasn't very nice, so I didn't see that he was really losing anything at all by returning to what he was before the operation.

And I didn't like Algernon either. He may have been a mouse, but a wife beater is a wife beater.

I think it's easy to be a nice person when you have an IQ of 70. You are laughing with others but actually they are laughing about you. You just don't get their attitude toward you. When they play tricks on you, you don't understand that they do it for fun and afterwards you can't remember anymore.
It must be a horribly shock to become intelligent and realize, that all your so called friends exposed your retarded mind for amusement only. You start to gain knowledge and soon you have an unique IQ. People don't gather the meaning of your conversations any more, they are talking about a movie while you a thinking of a solution for cold fusion. While you enjoyed being able to discuss with others, you now are isolated once again. But without the "pleasure" of a retarded mind!

It's Been a While

It's been quite a while since I read this, so I've lost a lot, but I remember that what struck me, and what I actually got most from the book was that the problems in relating to "normal" folks was just as hard for the "genius" as it was for the "retarded" Charlie. He was still outside the parameters. And as I recall, the writing impressed me because it managed the transition forward and back so very smoothly.

I do think I'd like to re-read it. One of the great joys of memory lapse is that I get to enjoy the same books over, and over, and over....

Back